Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2021, 08:11 AM   #1
thebluesman5748

Hunting Deep Backcountry

I only jump on this website once a year to see who's doing what for the hunt. I was surprised there's no threads on hunting here as of yet... Seems everyone here is still focused on fishing...but with the weather I can understand why. I've been getting gear ready for 2 weeks now in anticipation of the hunt...

Again, we will be hunting the deep backcountry of the West Canada Lakes Wilderness... Heading up in 2 weeks to put up the Elk Tent and gather firewood for the whole season... It's a labor intensive weekend, but once the camp is set up and all the wood cut, split and stacked, we're ready to kick back and enjoy the sounds of the wilderness...

I've been hunting with a (30.06) Remington Woodmaster, model 742 for 45 years. It's a great hunting rifle. But as I age, that weapon just doesn't get any lighter.. I cover a lot of territory every day still hunting & tracking and I, after all these years, broke down and decided to retire my Remington for a lighter weapon...

Just bought a new Tikka T3X, (30.06) with synthetic stock, and a Leupold 3x9x50 scope... The bolt action on that weapon is really smooth. Total package weighs less than 6 1/2lb... That's almost 5lb less than my Remington. So now it looks like I've got to get the legs in better shape as I'll probably cover more territory...

Alright boys & girls, get focused and start thinking about the hunt... As for me, I can't wait to get up there. When I hear those coyote's howling I'll know I'm in God's country...

And remember... "It's not about the kill, It's about the Adventure"...
thebluesman5748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:02 PM   #2
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluesman5748 View Post
I only jump on this website once a year to see who's doing what for the hunt. I was surprised there's no threads on hunting here as of yet... Seems everyone here is still focused on fishing...but with the weather I can understand why. I've been getting gear ready for 2 weeks now in anticipation of the hunt...

Again, we will be hunting the deep backcountry of the West Canada Lakes Wilderness... Heading up in 2 weeks to put up the Elk Tent and gather firewood for the whole season... It's a labor intensive weekend, but once the camp is set up and all the wood cut, split and stacked, we're ready to kick back and enjoy the sounds of the wilderness...

I've been hunting with a (30.06) Remington Woodmaster, model 742 for 45 years. It's a great hunting rifle. But as I age, that weapon just doesn't get any lighter.. I cover a lot of territory every day still hunting & tracking and I, after all these years, broke down and decided to retire my Remington for a lighter weapon...

Just bought a new Tikka T3X, (30.06) with synthetic stock, and a Leupold 3x9x50 scope... The bolt action on that weapon is really smooth. Total package weighs less than 6 1/2lb... That's almost 5lb less than my Remington. So now it looks like I've got to get the legs in better shape as I'll probably cover more territory...

Alright boys & girls, get focused and start thinking about the hunt... As for me, I can't wait to get up there. When I hear those coyote's howling I'll know I'm in God's country...

And remember... "It's not about the kill, It's about the Adventure"...

Best of Luck, sounds like an amazing time deep in the woods. Is this all by foot? How far back? I've been way back in up near Brainginham, Otter Lake. Very beautiful spot.
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #3
mgc

The Tikka is a nice rifle. I also have a T3 30-06 but set up with Zeiss scope. It's not as light or as nice to carry as my Model 94, but it's in a different league in terms of accuracy. I use it in Western NY and out West. In the park and North Country, the 94 seems like a better fit for my style. I agonized over the 30-06...the 308 would have taken advantage of that nice bolt action.
I'm starting the drive home from Idaho...skunked here in bow season. I'll be up in St. Lawrence County next week.
Good luck....
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #4
Mallard1100

Good choice on the rifle. I carry the same one in the Adks but in 7mm-08. Very happy with it. Makes a hard case to carry the revered pump around when you have such a lighter option in the tikka. How was your success from last season? Any pics? No back country trip for me this year but I will be up the first week of November in camp. Hoping for much better weather this year instead of the 70 degree temps we had last year during the week I took off. Fingers crossed…..
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:36 AM   #5
Buckladd

I'm pumped for deer season, which begins for me with Monday's bow season.

Beyond that, I've been mentoring a 15-year-old who I'm trying to get into the big woods hunting style. He's a good kid, and a big kid, but right now he's more interested in sitting in a cornfield. He's been watching too much outdoor TV. I also signed up to be a mentor for the NDA's Field to Fork program, which teaches adult hunters, so some of that might take me away from the hunting party.

Another reason this year might be a little different is that my cousin, and one our hunting party's more dedicated crew, passed away this summer after an accident. His wife, daughter and son-in-law were just starting to come along as well. Right now that's all up in the air.

But my broadheads are sharp and I'm ready for Monday. Good luck all.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #6
1bluefin

Hi, where can you purchase these Tikka rifles web site does not show any dealers in N.Y.S.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #7
Mallard1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluefin View Post
Hi, where can you purchase these Tikka rifles web site does not show any dealers in N.Y.S.
You can purchase from any online gun dealer or gun broker and have it shipped to your local FFL/gun shop for transfer.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #8
Stillhunter

Look at Sportsmans Warehouse store online purchase and ship to your FFL gun shop. They have over 12,000 firearms to choose from. Offer some good sales as well...
They currently have a Tikka on sale. They have a store in Rochester, NY as well.

https://www.sportsmans.com/storeflyer
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #9
1bluefin

Hunting Deep Backcountry

Thanks appreciate the info. Happy hunting.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:06 PM   #10
Buckladd

Well, has anyone been out bowhunting? If so, how do you like the new sunrise/sunset law? I've been out both mornings and evenings so far and will get out again Wednesday (tomorrow) morning before having to take a break for business over the weekend. Had a doe about 20 yards the first night around 7pm, just didn't like the shot as I could barely see my sight pin (no illumination) so I passed. I guess that just because we can shoot a half hour after sunset doesn't mean we should. This morning I had a different doe at 35 yards, a bit out of my range. Nice to see some deer, though.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:38 AM   #11
mgc

I was not in favor of the 1/2 hour time change. I hunt out West every year where they allow shooting at first light. 90% of the time there is not enough early light to shoot. As a waterfowl hunter, my experience has been the same. I don't like to shoot hens. At first light you can't really be 100% sure, even though the law permits it. If you want to shoot that early (or late) you will need to add illumination to your sight or shine a light on the fiberbundles to light up the pin.
Here in Western NY, many of the scofflaws do shoot early. You can hear them banging away as much as 45 minutes before legal hours....and I mean banging away because they need to unload a whole magazine to hope to hit anything. It seems like there are always a few crippled deer around on opening day that got wounded but not tracked and found. Snow helps.
Fear not, the few now mandatory square inches of pink and orange will keep you safe.

I picked up my Teka at White Tail Country Sports World in Olean. It's a nice shop with knowledgeable staff and not one of the big retailers. There are also plenty of them listed on Gunbroker.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:12 AM   #12
thebluesman5748

We finally got into the backcountry and set up camp for hunting. It was indeed a labor intensive weekend but we lucked out...no rain... We came up a little short on the wood supply because we were beat, and got into the bourbon a bit too much... but will remedy that soon.

I followed several "foliage reports" prior to heading up and I can tell you that they're all wrong... The trees are still loaded with green foliage... some color but nothing to brag about... Not many leaves on the ground considering the elevation we were at... I can only assume they haven't had a heavy frost as of yet...but we've got almost 3 weeks to open rifle...

Biggest disappointment...No coyote's howling at night, but I did manage to find some scat which told me they were definitely around.

Bluesman...
Old 10-05-2021, 08:01 AM   #13
geogymn

Thanks for that report.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #14
Buckladd

Has anyone been out lately? I see where a few kids scored during the youth hunt, but overall this warm weather has really slowed things down. Got out with a kid Sunday and Monday and it was tough. We did see a doe but he got one last year and wanted a buck. Heading out with the crossbow the next few days, before breaking out the smoke-pole (my favorite) this weekend. Good luck everyone!
Old 10-13-2021, 01:44 PM   #15
njbirdman

I was out last week in Warren county 10/4-10/7 and saw two does out of range. The rain Monday/Tuesday surely kept them bedded but unfortunately no bucks were spotted. Probably wont make it out again for bow as I'm not a fan of bow hunting during muzzy season and will wait for rifle before I come back north.

Might try to use my bow tag in the southern zone as its a closer drive...but not the same experience :/
njbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #16
thebluesman5748

We went back up to camp last weekend to gather more firewood... Very strange foliage... Seems like the leaves are turning from green to yellow and down. In an 8 day period since camp setup, the leaves dropped quite a bit considering no frost and very little rain.. It's the wind that's dropping the leaves. Still no deep frost in the forecast for the next 10 days... It will be low 50's during the day with mid 30's at night... We left camp in shorts & t-shirts... Very warm...

Looks like it's gonna be a total wash out for early muzzle loader weekend...
Old 10-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #17
Fly Rodder

Yeah, lots of rain this weekend. Keep the powder dry.

Heavy frost in the southern half looks to be at least 10-14 days away, if not longer.

I'm headed out west for Mulies the last week of the month, but I'll be out this weekend slogging around with a Tikka as well. Good thing it's weatherproof.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote