Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2016, 01:41 AM   #1
dmartenvt

Medicinal Plants

I've found a great deal of interesting medicinal plants in the ADKs, recently blue cohosh, bane berry, bunchberry, Chaga mushrooms, and I've set out ginseng and goldenseal; two of my favorites.

I'm interested in finding out if anyone uses any of the native plants for therapeutic purposes.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #2
mgc

I am curious to find out if anyone has succesfully used Jewel weed as either a preventative or treatment for poison ivy exposure?
If yes, how do you use it?
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
jmg343

When I used to do tree work we used the Jewel weed, shown to me by the Guatemalans, as treatment and as a preventative. Those guys would just pick it, mash it up in there hands and rub it all over there hands, arms, face, neck, and any other exposed flesh. I did it too. Whether or not it worked as a preventative, I'm not so sure as I usually had PI before ever putting it on. It definitely did help as far as treatment goes.
jmg343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #4
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Does sweet fern grow that far north? Good vs. mosquitoes, at least S.E. New England ones.
http://edthesmokebeard.com/
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
geogymn

I chew on ginseng when I come across it but my wife says it makes no difference.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
Susannah

We were always told that when you thought you'd been exposed to P.I. you should find jewel weed and just crumple and mash it onto your skin. Seemed to work really well...it was supposed to neutralize the oil on the poison ivy leaves.
Susannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #7
TCD

I also heard about jewel wed as a kid many years ago. I'm not sensitive to poison ivy, so I never had to try it. There is a Sweet Fern Hill in the Hammond Pond Wild Forest off exit 29, so maybe Sweet Fern grows there; I don't know.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #8
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
I chew on ginseng when I come across it but my wife says it makes no difference.

Funny!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
wiiawiwb

I always apply Jewelweed, prophylactically, to my legs and arms whenever I am out in the woods and see it. Just got back from an overnight with buddies in the Adirondacks and applied it to my legs when I saw it growing trailside.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
wiiawiwb

I wish someone offered a hands-on course in medicinal plants of the Adirondacks.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #11
groundhog

I've successfully used jewel weed to mitigate the effects of stinging nettle.
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
Sinite

I brew up chaga often. I collect it minimally as it takes a long time to grow. I have interest in medicinal plants and know a few but not as many as I would like. I juice burdock root- good for the liver.
Sinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #13
Stew0576

Good cure for nettles, chew the leaves into a pulp and rub it in the affected area, it works I do it all the time
Stew0576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #14
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinite View Post
I brew up chaga often. I collect it minimally as it takes a long time to grow. I have interest in medicinal plants and know a few but not as many as I would like. I juice burdock root- good for the liver.
Chaga, the tea mushroom.
My son introduced me to it while I was visiting.
He showed me a large jar, filled with liquid, with a growth floating at the top.
I asked him, if he ate the floating growth (mushroom).
He told me that he made a tea from the liquid.
It's widely used in eastern Europe.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #15
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Downhill From Here View Post
Does sweet fern grow that far north? Good vs. mosquitoes, at least S.E. New England ones.
I've seen it in the Corinth area.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #16
dmartenvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Chaga, the tea mushroom.
My son introduced me to it while I was visiting.
He showed me a large jar, filled with liquid, with a growth floating at the top.
I asked him, if he ate the floating growth (mushroom).
He told me that he made a tea from the liquid.
It's widely used in eastern Europe.
Jim
I've been told 1/4 cup of the dried, powdered chaga to a gallon of water, brewed on low overnight in a crockpot, then strained. That's what I've been drinking. It actually seems to work for inflammation (like my battered knees and neck). I've also read it's more powerful as a tincture because you can extract more beneficial compounds out of it in alcohol. I've also found balsam does work wonders for lung infections. Trying to figure out how to inoculate the birches with chaga, as it is being over-harvested, and putting back more plants.

I recently planted quite a lot of ginseng (I didn't realize I could give this to my husband, thanks for the tip ) and goldenseal, which I've found is good for canker sores. I don't want to cultivate a woodland garden so much as help it along to bring back some native plants that are medicinal.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #17
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Here's my latest batch of Chaga tincture:

Everclear and chaga chunks in a mason jar, usually let it steep for a month or so. Was lazy with this batch and let it go for like 4 months. Added a little of the cherry extract for flavor. Boiled the everclear extracted chaga chunks in tap water for an hour then combined roughly 1 part of each to get around 100 proof. I store it in the freezer but at 100 proof can probably just put it on the shelf. Its not bad plain with the cherry flavor but I usually put it in some other kind of juice.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote