Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
EastOfMidnight

Guide Boats

I am interested in hooking up with guide boat pilots. Last time in the ADKs (last year) I saw exactly zero (other that at the museum, and in a couple of boat houses).

I have a 14' Grant style boat built by Dan Van Tassel, formerly of Lake George (I think) but the last time I heard from him he was in Colorado or somewhere out west. I've got a lot of pics on http://www.adkforum.com/photos/main.php?g2_page=3, but am always looking for more.

Am considering doing Low's Lake to Wanakena (my favorite town in the Park) perhaps in mid June but am wondering if I'll beat my boat to pieces doing so (not to mention beating myself to pieces on the portages). Comments or counsel?

Thanks in advance,

JH Bahn

Last edited by EastOfMidnight; 08-18-2007 at 09:02 AM..
EastOfMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastOfMidnight View Post
I am interested in hooking up with guide boat pilots. Last time in the ADKs (last year) I saw exactly zero (other that at the museum, and in a couple of boat houses).

I have a 14' Grant style boat built by Dan Van Tassel, formerly of Lake George (I think) but the last time I heard from him he was in Colorado or somewhere out west. I've got a lot of pics on http://www.freewebs.com/eastofmidnight/, but am always looking for more.

Am considering doing Low's lake to Wanakena (my favorite town in the Park) perhaps in mid June but am wondering if I'll beat my boat to pieces doing so (not to mention beating myself to pieces on the portages). Comments or counsel?

Thanks in advance,

JH Bahn
Congratulations on the guide boat. I have a modern version, a cedar wood strip made by Pat Brown of Upper Chase Lake (east of Lowville-Glenfield). I don't use it much, but do fish from it some. It's a nice change of effect from a canoe, fast too.

I don't know which way you are planning the trip to Wanakena, via the Oswegatchie carry, or more directly on the trail from Lows/Grass Pond to Cranberry. Either way, don't plan on using wheels, as neither trail is wheel friendly. It will be one heck of a lug overhead on the carry. Once on the water you'll be fine... except for dozens of beaver dams on the Oswegatchie.

Last edited by Wldrns; 05-30-2007 at 09:39 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
EastOfMidnight

It's now a moot question. I recently had an encounter with a wall following an swerve to miss one of the famous DC potholes on my bicycle. The result is a broken shoulder and probably 12 weeks of post suregry recovery and physical therapy before I'm boating again. Bummer...
JH Bahn
Old 07-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Moses Atwood

I'm the proud new (to me anyway) owner of a 12' Grant Raider style. It's kevlar. I've only had it in three lakes so far. And, I already caught a trout from it!

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...Guide%20Boat/?

Hope your recovery is going well.
Moses Atwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Moses,
That sure is a pretty boat!! Is that from that Little Beaver place? How much does it weigh? How is it for carrying? Don't mean to bug you, but I built a stripper version of a 16 ft Grant pattern a while ago and did not like it. Maybe because of the weight--55 lb--or maybe I just didn't like looking over my shoulder....Anyway, a 12 foot guideboat, if it's easy enough to portage, might suit me as well a solo canoe. I'm always looking for my next project.
Thanks,
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
Moses Atwood

Stripperguy,

It's a Hornbeck. I got it used from someone who lives on Blue Mountain Lake. It's a sweet little boat. Pete thought it weighed in the low 40's. I'll weigh it when I get home tonight. I carried it to a pond that's about .5 miles from the road with no problem. It has a yoke that bolts in. It rows like a dream, even with two people.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
EastOfMidnight

Rowing a guide boat can be a pain - and embarrassing - if you don't keep your head on a swivel. On the other hand they are a delight to row, fast and comfortable. Mine is a 14' Grant, traditional rib and plank construction, about 60 lbs. I use flexible 8' Shaw and Tenney soft maple oars. I'm happy to put up with the weight and slooow portages just for the sheer joy of rowing it.

JH Bahn
Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
EastOfMidnight

I've added a photograph album called Adirondack Guide Boats to ADK Forum Photos at http://www.adkforum.com/photos/main.php?g2_page=3 . It includes historic, artwork, and modern pictures. I tried to add sources whenever possible, but many gaps remain. If you have additional information. corrections, or others to add, please contact me and I'll be glad to add to the album.

JH Bahn

Last edited by EastOfMidnight; 08-24-2007 at 08:24 PM..
Old 07-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
groundhog

Great pics of the guideboats in the photo section. I had my first exposure to them early this summer when I had a chance to stay at the Ausable Club. Returning from a day of climbing / hiking, I saw what I thought were canoes being rowed on Lower Ausable Lake. Not wanting to miss a chance to paddle on the lakes, I reserved a boat for the next day, naively thinking I'd get a guideboat. Hah! Beat up old grumman for me! But I did get to see these beauties up close & personal in the boathouse. Some magnificent pieces of work. I'd bet there was at least half a million in boats sitting there!

amf
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
Qtip

Here's a pic of my guideboat on 8th Lake. Picked it up for $700 and redid all the wood trim, oars, and recaned the seats. Also a new paint job. Everything was in good shape but the finish was on in globs so I had to redo it all.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Qtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
Moses Atwood

Nice!! Do you know who the original builder was?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
Qtip

I was told by the person I bought it from that an elderly gent somewhere out in the western part of the state made them for a while. He didn't know the name. It's fiberglass and is very fast.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Old 07-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #13
EastOfMidnight

Qtip: Great boat at a great price! I took the liberty of adding it to the Adirondack Guide Boat Album at http://www.adkforum.com/photos/main.php?g2_page=3.

I'm dying to get an on-the-water picture of mine, but I've been laid up with a broken shoulder.

JH Bahn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Van Tassel 2.JPG (87.9 KB, 122 views)
Old 07-31-2007, 03:26 PM   #14
Qtip

Now that's a guideboat!!! Someday..........

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #15
Wldrns

Here's a Pat Brown Boatworks cedarstrip guideboat on 8th Lake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pat_brown_guideboat.jpg (62.0 KB, 80 views)
Old 08-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #16
Moses Atwood

Beautiful!