Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
Chef
Sir Loin

Backcountry Skiing Questions

I'm a skiboarder (twin tip 87cm) and I'm researching bc skiing for next season. What kind of ski's and bindings does everyone use and why? Are their lightweight alternatives or are they all pretty much the same? any advice on the subject would be appreciated.

cheers

Chef
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
alombard

AT Skis: Black Diamond Havoc
AT Bindings: Fritchi Freeride plus
AT Boots: Scarpa Spirit 3's
I have this set up this season and love it. I got mine at the Mountaineer in Keene Valley. They were great there, help me set up everything.
-alombard #5624W

Last edited by alombard; 02-08-2008 at 04:30 PM..
alombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
toothlessannie

It depends on where you want to ski, terrain governs what you need. Everyone's idea of "BC" is a little different. Need more info.
toothlessannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
rdl

Lots of good info at http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/Dirt...r/dirtbag.html
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:11 PM   #5
Chef
Sir Loin

I'm planing on skiing Whiteface 50% of the time and the rest on the slides and high peaks. I have brand new boots (Solomon Performa), so I'm really trying to figure out which kind of bindings and what kind of skis I need. I'm 5'10" 225lbs. I really want to know the difference between 180cm or 200+ cm. and what will be the best to suit my needs. 90mm or 110m wide? I'vie skiboarded for 7 years, so I'm familiar with the fundamentals of skiing, I've just never used boards longer than 110cm.

Cheers

Chef
Old 02-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
groundhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
... I have brand new boots (Solomon Performa), so I'm really trying to figure out which kind of bindings and what kind of skis I need....
You will probably find that DH boots are relatively uncomfortable for a long approach - most AT style boots have a much more flexible "walk" mode than anything found on a DH boot. Unfortunately, they also tend to be on the pricey side. That said, (and here's a shameless plug), I am selling a pair of diamir 3 AT bindings somewhere on this board. Not the freerides noted earlier, but a good way to start & probably fine unless you're into hucking cliffs.
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Ever consider telemark?

Free the heel and the mind will follow
Old 02-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
rdl

The Solomon's you have will not really be appropriate for a long slog up to and beyond treeline. Something that's designed for the approach and also careening down a slide would either be AT gear or Telemark gear.

The trend currently is shorter and fatter. My 98/70/88 185 Tua Mito's look awfully skinny compared to most of what I see today. I'm about 5'10" 175 lbs.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
Chef
Sir Loin

I've wanted to try telemarking for a while now. I've started climbing the winter 46 and I'd like to ski down some of them next year. I think DH boots will be fine because I'll only be wearing them while going down. I imagine that the wider and longer the skis, the better they are for powder, but how long is too long and how wide is too wide? What kind of snow conditions are most often found in the high peaks region? So far, I've hiked Cascade twice, Porter once, and I'm doing Colden this Sunday (anyone want to go?), the snow seems fluffy and definitely ski-able. And lastly, are some bindings better for backcountry and others for groomed trails? Does anyone use non-releasable bindings? Good thing I have all summer to figure this out.

Cheers

Chef
Old 02-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
alombard

AT Gear

Quote:
I've wanted to try telemarking for a while now. I've started climbing the winter 46 and I'd like to ski down some of them next year. I think DH boots will be fine because I'll only be wearing them while going down. I imagine that the wider and longer the skis, the better they are for powder, but how long is too long and how wide is too wide? What kind of snow conditions are most often found in the high peaks region? So far, I've hiked Cascade twice, Porter once, and I'm doing Colden this Sunday (anyone want to go?), the snow seems fluffy and definitely ski-able. And lastly, are some bindings better for backcountry and others for groomed trails? Does anyone use non-releasable bindings? Good thing I have all summer to figure this out.

Cheers

Chef

Sorry, but this doe'nt make much sense to me. Your only wearing the boots on the way down? How are you climbing up? Snowshoes and regular boots? If thats the case.....big mistake.....way to heavy. I have gone this route before and you will hate it. Plus, it sucks changing your footware on top of a windblown peak.

You want AT gear. Alpine Touring. Boots, skis, bindings and skins. Why carry your ski stuff for all those miles when you can ski up?

Only deal is, it is rather expensive. My boots alone were $600+. But you really can't hike/skin in those salomons you have.

It sounds like you are concerned about the skis mostly. 88cm wide and 175cm long is what I have. I am 6'1". But, honestly. Boots and bindings come first when your talking about doing the stuff you stated above.

Oh, and what is skiboarding?
-alombard #5624W
Old 02-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
groundhog

Ditto what Alex Lombard said, and once more for good measure. You really need to focus on what will work best for what you want to do, and not what may work with what you happen to have on hand.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Or alternatively:

You want telemark gear. Boots, skis, bindings and skins. Why carry your ski stuff for all those miles when you can ski up?

Only deal is, it is somewhat expensive. My boots alone were $300. But you really can't hike/skin in those salomons you have.

It sounds like you are concerned about the skis mostly. 90cm wide and 180cm long is what I have. I am 6'. But, honestly. Boots and bindings come first when your talking about doing the stuff you stated above.

Thanks Alex!
Old 02-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
alombard

Ahhhhhh, one of those telemark guys.....hummmm. Yes yes, telemark is a good way to go as well. I agree.
-alombard #5624W
Old 02-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #14
hillman1
skiing demi-god

If you're not planning on buying for awhile, keep checking all kinds of websites for used gear. I bought everything new, and it became used very quick...I've seen some great deals lately on craigslist.org a full tele package with 10 1/2 boots for 200. Look at timefortuckerman.com and check out bentgate, snowleopard and mountaingear. A new setup with boots-skis-bindings will run over 1000. Happy hunting
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #15
groundhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Lombard View Post
Ahhhhhh, one of those telemark guys.....hummmm. Yes yes, telemark is a good way to go as well. I agree.
But they are hard to fit crampons to!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #16
Harvey44

I'm with Keith. Teley all the way.

There are plenty of practical justifications for all kinds of gear. Teley and you'll do it because it just feels right.
Harvey44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #17
alombard

Also, you can check out teleturnaround for used gear. www.telemarktips.com
-alombard #5624W
Old 02-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #18
Riosacandaga
soggy

Freeing the heel will free the mind, but that doesn't mean you have to drop a knee to turn. Its all good. With todays telemark gear // can be fluid and you always have the tele turn. That's what's great about telemark gear.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #19
rdl

When I'm at a lift served area I parallel almost as much as I drop the knee. Depends on how beat I am.

There are plenty of skiable slides and trails in the High Peaks, but most take a while to get to.

It's going to be close to spring sale time soon. Check out the Mountaineer, Cascade, Cunninghams. Go to Whiteface, take a tele lesson and rent some tele gear just to try it out.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #20
adkh20

Quote:
...I'm researching bc skiing for next season. any advice on the subject would be appreciated.
You might want to attend the Annual Adirondack Backcountry Ski Festival

Quote:
I'm planing on skiing Whiteface 50% of the time and the rest on the slides and high peaks.
If you plan to ski slides, you should get some avalanche training. There is
a Level 1 avalanche course at Whiteface March 22-23. Here's an article about
avalanches in the Adirondacks: http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/aavalanche.htm
adkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote