Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
MaximusFunk24

all wood ski base prep

I just found a pair of all wood Skilom skis that miraculously survived in a barn unwarped and without splitting for at least 20 years. I think it would be fun to ski on them now and then under the right conditions.

from what i have been reading, everyone corks in a hard grip wax on top of the pine tar treated base, and then rubs on temp specific grip wax in the kick zone.

I may be missing something because i am coming from waxless skis, but why not use glide wax on the tips and tails? was it not yet invented when people used these skis?

Also, i would be interested if anyone knows how to make their own pine tar from pieces of pine resin, as I have collected quite a lot.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
groundhog

I have a pair of 'em and love 'em, when the conditions are right. Clean the bases thoroughly, then as you said pine tar with a cold hard wax over that, kick/grip wax underfoot. In my experience a cold hard wax works as well as a glide wax, unless temps are high. Then you should use waxless anyway!
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusFunk24 View Post
I may be missing something because i am coming from waxless skis, but why not use glide wax on the tips and tails? was it not yet invented when people used these skis?

Also, i would be interested if anyone knows how to make their own pine tar from pieces of pine resin, as I have collected quite a lot.
From a limited understanding (and no direct experience) liquid glide wax tends to rub off rather quickly (does not penetrate tar covered base vs sintered modern bases). Ironing a glide wax on top of tar would be tricky if not impossible since tar will melt at somewhat low temps and may mix with the wax or wax will not stick.

In good old times tar was available and cheap, but when it was not one would 'cook' the hardened sap with some turpentine until the right consistency is achieved (something similar to peanut butter at room temp). The commercial tar was just that, heavier remains from turpentine distilling...

Nothing comes close to true woodies in just the right conditions (dry cold powder), wish I still had a pair. Good luck and enjoy!
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
mgc

I learned a lot about waxing from our coaches in high school years many ago. We always put a layer of parafin over the pine tar on the glide zone of the ski. It was never used it in the kick area. Parafin protects the bases from wear. It also gives you real nice run in all conditions. Don't worry about it blending with the tar.
It does not wear very well so you will need to apply it fairly often. I am in the habit of ironing in a layer of parafin every time I oil the bases and every other time I ski.
If you don't know how to lock your ski on the kick the parifin will highlight how poor your form is, especially uphill!
I'll never forget the first time I tarred a new pair of skis. The burn marks were there for years.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote