Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Marty From SLC
Left Coast Correspondent

Lightbulb Search for Great White Pine

I'm planning a trip this fall from Bog River/Lows Lake past Big Deer Pond to the thickest white pine in the park. (Biggest is near Wanakena). Have not been there since the 1995 blowdown. Anyone have the GPS coordinates? The Ranger school informs me that there is a red tagged trail from Big Deer to the tree, but didn't say if it was from Big Deer Pond or from its outlet. Thanks! (I promise to take a picture)
Marty From SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty From SF View Post
I'm planning a trip this fall from Bog River/Lows Lake past Big Deer Pond to the thickest white pine in the park. (Biggest is near Wanakena). Have not been there since the 1995 blowdown. Anyone have the GPS coordinates? The Ranger school informs me that there is a red tagged trail from Big Deer to the tree, but didn't say if it was from Big Deer Pond or from its outlet. Thanks! (I promise to take a picture)
I'm guessing you are talking about what we call "the old man". He doesn't look the same anymore. He lost his top and many of it's almost equal brothers went completely down in '95. I've been there to visit the old guy almost every year since 1991. Yes, he's somewhere beyond Big Deer Pond. Someone else may tell you exactly where, but I'd rather not be the one. I don't use a GPS back there so I couldn't give you the coordinates anyway, but I can sure put a finger on a map. The old man lives in a truly special place that was forever transformed in 1995. He is practically a lone survivor. I don't know who has been putting flagging in that area, but it distresses me whenever I see it. Please understand the character of the area will not support a great deal of traffic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old-ManTop.jpg (96.6 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg Old-Man-trunk.jpg (96.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg Old-Man-base.jpg (99.8 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by Wldrns; 05-10-2008 at 09:23 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:11 AM   #3
Marty From SLC
Left Coast Correspondent

"Old Man"

Thanks for that. Yup, that's the tree. I understand the issue of 'heavy traffic'. It is a very remote and fragile place. I can place it on a map also, having been there three times, but not since 1989. There was much more of a general canopy in that area. I do remember Pine Ridge on the upper Oswegatchie past High Falls and several visits with dozens and dozens of monster white pines, but nearly all of them were downed in the storm. Its a maze of matchsticks now. I've been told that before the other big storm in the 1950's that it was even MORE impressive - hard to imagine.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
suescanal

Thank you Wldrns; scrap the GPS.
suescanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by suescanal View Post
Thank you Wldrns; scrap the GPS.
That's my favorite training ground for BSA High Adventure Trek Leaders. Use of GPS is forbidden on my training treks. If my students can learn to use map and compass and their (developing) sense of terrain observation techniques to navigate in such a difficult area, then after I am done with them I trust they can navigate without GPS anywhere.

Last edited by Wldrns; 05-13-2008 at 09:12 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Marty From SLC
Left Coast Correspondent

"Old Man"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I'm guessing you are talking about what we call "the old man". He doesn't look the same anymore. He lost his top and many of it's almost equal brothers went completely down in '95. I've been there to visit the old guy almost every year since 1991. Yes, he's somewhere beyond Big Deer Pond. Someone else may tell you exactly where, but I'd rather not be the one. I don't use a GPS back there so I couldn't give you the coordinates anyway, but I can sure put a finger on a map. The old man lives in a truly special place that was forever transformed in 1995. He is practically a lone survivor. I don't know who has been putting flagging in that area, but it distresses me whenever I see it. Please understand the character of the area will not support a great deal of traffic.
Hello again,
Were these pictures taken before or after the top of the tree was severed by the blowdown? I received the GPS coordinates just in case I get lost, but was asked not to reveal them. I plan on the hike in August. Thanks again!
Marty
Old 05-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty From SF View Post
Hello again,
Were these pictures taken before or after the top of the tree was severed by the blowdown?
Photos were taken early May 2007. You can't really see the full extent of the missing top unless you find a particular spot with a view several hundred yards away.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
kayakrski

So are you guys talking about a different tree than "The Big Pine" near Dead Creek Flow? I'd hate to think the top fell off. I visit that tree everytime I visit the Ranger School.

Gregg
kayakrski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Marty From SLC
Left Coast Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakrski View Post
So are you guys talking about a different tree than "The Big Pine" near Dead Creek Flow? I'd hate to think the top fell off. I visit that tree everytime I visit the Ranger School.

Gregg
Hi Gregg,
This tree is located near the tri-county markers west of Big Deer Pond - not the one near the Ranger school which is not as thick, but definitely taller.
Marty
Old 05-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
kayakrski

Thanks, I'll have to look into that one too. I figured I would have heard if something happened to the big pine. It brings back some good memories.

Gregg
kayakrski is offline   Reply With Quote