Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
forest dweller

Specific commercial freeze dried dinners you actually like (not merely tolerate!)?

Specific commercial freeze dried dinners you actually like (not merely tolerate!)? Brand and dinner.

I love backpacking but only getting to do it once a year or so, and sometimes switch it out with canoe camping, I always remain "rusty", particularly when it comes to food ideas.

I remember finding Mountain House Meat Sauce quite edible but it's been years.

I'm planning on a 6 day trip with my wife and I want it to go well and eating well is a big part of this.
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
Glen
Check please

Anything from Hawk's.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Anything from Hawk's.
Unless he has dramatically changed his process, I don't believe that Hawk freeze-dries. AFAIK, his offerings have alway been simply dehydrated, originating with home dehydrated recipes and experimental variations from Linda Yaffe's book: Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail
Old 06-25-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
bluequill

Hawk's Vittles are good. You really can't go wrong with any of his offerings.

I like Sausage Gravy with Biscuits from Mountain House.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote