Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2020, 01:35 PM   #1
head9959

Cedar river - paddle to flow?

Hi all, heading up to ADK's the week of June 6 coming up. Looking for an easy kayak paddle to a primitive camp area. Where Cedar River rd's pavement ends, it looks like there's a small parking lot about 2/3 of a mile down the dirt road. Is it possible to park there, paddle the ~4 miles UP river to Cedar Flow?

I'm thinking of doing that, spending a night or two at a primitive site around the flow, doing some day paddles/hikes, then doing the 4 miles down river back to the car. I think the river flows North if i'm not mistaken.

I know you can drive the ~5 miles on the dirt road to the Flow itself, but my 3-series bmw does not really enjoy dirt roads in the ADK's haha.

Any other "easy kayak paddle to primitive site" suggestions for this time of year? I have a couple ADK paddle maps, but the selection is overwhelming!

many thanks!
-josh
head9959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:51 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Josh,
Do you have access to a topo map? If so, look at the gradient on that section of the Cedar.
In spring runoff, it's a class III or class IV run.
Upstream is not possible, and in early June all you'll be doing is walking upstream over boulders and ledges.
FWIW, last fall I saw plenty of small cars and even a class C motorhome at the flow. I would think your Beemer would be OK. BTW, most of last year there was a resident moose at the Flow...

For easy access, you can't beat Little Tupper Lake and connected Round Lake, plenty of wilderness sites (Cedar River Flow allows motors) and if the winds kick up you should have no problems in your kayak.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:33 PM   #3
groundhog

The road in to the Flow is not that bad at all. You can paddle up the flow to the inlet, negotiate a beaver dam, and continue upstream to a lean-to near the head of navigation. The tricky part is finding the inlet, as it get quite marshy. Follow the current and you should be o.k.
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:04 PM   #4
TrailBlaser

I have driven my Ford Fusion to the Flow on the Cedar River Road (via the entrance near Indian Lake), through the Moose River Plains and on to Otter Brook. Last year I was unable to go beyond the Otter Brook trail head (on Indian River Road).
Old 06-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
head9959

This is great, folks, thanks for the info! I think i'll skip the Class 3/4 segment haha, I'd probably end up in a body bag. Also, little tupper and Round look pretty easy as well. I'm also looking at the Bog River down into Low's lake. Hopefull the weather holds up a bit. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #6
nutmeg creeker

On Low's and Little Tupper, the winds are very strong starting in mid-afternoon. Try to be off the water early enough. Otherwise, this is prime paddling.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #7
TCD

Look up the recent ADK Explorer article about the challenge of finding the inlet that leads up the flow (cannot find a link right now). Plan time for that.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #8
tenderfoot

So I did the Cedar River Flow last year with my Toyota minivan, not exactly an off road beast. Nice paddling. I was able to watch the seagrass under the water to check for current to find the flow. Got pretty far back over a couple of beaver dams (in a sail/oar boat!)

Little Tupper and Rock Pond was great as well - but there is a short carry/portage.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:23 AM   #9
tenderfoot

Deleted duplicate post
Old 06-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
Bark Eater Too

Haha, class III/IV? There's actually a beautiful 20-foot waterfall leading into a gorge in that section, so at least one pitch is class VI. I was up there last week. The road to the flow is in good shape. You will have no trouble driving in.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #11
head9959

Hi all, thanks again for the insider info here.. i posted a (lengthy) report in the Trip Reports section. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #12
TrailBlaser

Anyone going to the CRF this weekend? A trip report would be appreciated. Happy paddling!
Old 07-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #13
TrailBlaser

Trip to the Cedar River Flow

Recently I took a 4-day trip to the Cedar River Flow in the central Adirondacks. Access was by the Cedar River Road (Indian Lake, NY) to the put-in at Wakely Dam. It was a short paddle to campsite #4 where I camped for 3 nights. My days were spent paddling, fishing, swimming, taking photos, shooting video and making field (sound) recordings. The highlight was a paddle up the Cedar River as far as the Carry leanto. The weather was fantastic the entire time - days were warm and sunny in the upper 80's and nights were comfortable in the upper 60's. Here are some links to photos:

Cedar River Flow

Cedar River Paddle

Cedar River Campsite
Old 07-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #14
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark Eater Too View Post
There's actually a beautiful 20-foot waterfall leading into a gorge in that section...
Could you possibly be a little more specific about where I could find this? I'd like to take a gander.

Is it about 1 or 2 tenths of a mile downstream from where the road crosses the little bridge next to Wakely Pond, sort of opposite Water Barrel Mountain?

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 07-19-2020 at 03:21 PM..
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:33 PM   #15
Bark Eater Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
Could you possibly be a little more specific about where I could find this? I'd like to take a gander.
Hi Brett. It's close to two miles below the dam at the flow. Easiest to find driving away from the flow. Going downstream, look for a small, grassy pullout on the right side of the road. Big enough to park a car or two max. It looks like the start of an old road but just stops. There is a blazed DEC trail from that spot down to the river. It's probably only a tenth of a mile to the river, but drops a bit in elevation. It's a beautiful spot!
Old 07-19-2020, 04:59 PM   #16
IndLk_Brett

Thanks! I know the exact place that you're talking about. Just never made it down to the river in that spot. Will definitely be checking it out.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #17
EastOfMidnight

Cedar River Flow

I like to do a week or so solo trip each October or early Nov. But I have a dilemma. I'm 74 and can choose between my PBW Spitfire and light gear and portage and traverse beaver dams, or row my beloved guide boat with plenty of space for gear (sleeping pad, larger tent, bottle of Scotch, better food, coffee pot, etc.) I'm leaning toward the latter because, let's face it, I ain't getting any younger. I've done Cranberry, most of the Whitney, etc.
Cedar River looks interesting, as does Stillwater. Would CRF be a more isolated trip in mid October? Open to other secluded options as well. Thx.
EastOfMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:01 PM   #18
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

For paddling, I'd pick the Cedar River Flow over Stillwater. Stillwater has a reputation for getting really windy in the afternoons, so much so that it's not uncommon for rangers to have to go out with a motor boat to pick up paddlers stranded on the east end of the lake.

The Cedar River Flow does allow motors but I think there is a HP limit. In any case it also doesn't typically get crazy with motorboat traffic, not like Stillwater Reservoir can.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #19
Wldrns

I have never really hesitated to explore Stillwater Reservoir. The bad windy reputation is not always the case. Granted it can and does get windy, but not every day and if you have decent paddling skills and have the option of waiting out the worst windy days, it has a lot to offer. A guideboat should be able to handle all but the worst, and you can stick close to shore, unlike where motorboats must go in the deeper central channel. You don't have to end up on the far windblown eastern end. But if you dare, a visit to the state's most isolated remote village of Beaver River is worth a stop. I practically grew up and learned many of my canoe handling skills on Stillwater.

Years ago, my wife and I would paddle a 17' grumman canoe, with two small kids, a dog, and all of our gear to camp for a week. We never had any particularly difficult time with wind or padding in either direction. Other times, by myself Yes, I have spent an extra night a time or two on the eastern end, but my wife and rangers I know, both knew enough not to panic when I waited an extra day. Ironically, it was often easy to go east from the launch point with a slight tail wind, but a day or two later, enjoyment at a bright clear sunny day sometimes brought unwelcome wind from the west. You get what you get.

Off reservoir hiking with visits to little visited remote ponds to the north are in abundance. The "kettle Hole" to the north past the dam is well worth a visit to campsite #1. From there you can easily access the old logging road and side trails traveling north to Raven, Lyon, and Bear Lakes, as well as further east into the Pepperbox. Site #3 (Evergreen) offers a nice trail to Evergreen Lake, which has been experimentally limed to neutralize acid rain, and has turned out to be a good producing trout fishery now. If you are up to it, the Red Horse Trail will take you deep into the five Ponds Wilderness interior with its own array of practically never visited lakes. Paddle the southern Stillwater arm, toward Melody Island and you will find many protected bays and designated campsites with no more windy days than any other lake of any size.

Last edited by Wldrns; 09-13-2020 at 08:33 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camp, kayak, paddle, primitive