Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Biking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
fvrwld

Looking for easy MTB trails (no singletrack)

I bought a good mountain bike at the end of last year. A friend immediately took me out on some singletrack and I was terrified...did more walking of the bike than riding it. Even on beginner singletrack (Luther Forest) I did a fair amount of walking of the bike. I want to get to where I can ride singletrack, I just think I first need to get used to MTB terrain without the threat of hitting a tree on a narrow trail.

I found this and we're headed to do Wardsboro Road Trail this weekend. Looking for other recommendations in the eastern Adirondacks, central Adirondacks and south...jeep roads, old logging roads...rides that are somewhere in between a gravel road and single track.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #2
TCD

Hi Val,

I know what you mean! When you first get started, it feels like suicide. Many years ago I had the same experience, but you'll find the learning curve is fast.

Lots of good forest roads in the southern and eastern ADKs. Along the Hudson in the Hudson River Recreational area, you can ride roads from Lake Luzerne to Warrensburg. Also, east side of Lake George is all wild forest, you can ride lots of stuff around Buck, Sleeping Beauty, Shelving Rock and Black. If the uphills are too steep just walk them. Pack Forest is great. Further north, Hammond Pond WF has some good riding, both on the Hammond Pond side and out of Sharp Bridge Campground. Basically, look for Wild Forest. It's nice that we have so much of that in the southern and eastern ADKs.

Have fun!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Along the Hudson in the Hudson River Recreational area, you can ride roads from Lake Luzerne to Warrensburg.
I'll second along the east shore of the Hudson River north of Lake Luzerne, AKA the Buttermilk area. River Road to Buttermilk Road, & Gay Pond Road are perfect for riding, with several branching roads & trails where you can try out some lesser traveled routes. Do note that the old bridge across Ferguson Brook has collapsed, and crossing that brook in high water can be a little tricky. Also, the northern end near Warrensburg is a bit brushy for bike riding near the end Katts Corners Road. Much more new info on this area in the updated edition of Discover the Southern Adirondacks.

Also, you may want to check out Harrisburg Lake Rd to Bakertown Rd near Wilcox Lake (I was just there on a backpacking trip), and West Stony Creek Rd near the town of Stony Creek.

Last edited by Justin; 04-28-2015 at 08:35 AM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #4
Wldrns

Have you looked at the NYSDEC web page of Google Earth maps, one of which details DEC approved mountain bike trails?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
jan

I'm not a MTB'er so can't speak from experience, but the town of Queensbury has a MTB area at their Gurney Lane park. The XC ski trails there are also open to bikes. Those are very wide and easy terrain. The bike trails are listed as Easy to Expert. There were maps available at the kiosk inside the main entrance. They also had a brochure listing Warren County MTB trails. I was walking there today and only saw one biker so mid-week might be a good time to explore them without a crowd. I think there's also a map on their website.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:40 AM   #6
TCD

While we're at it, Crandall Park ("Cole's Woods") in Queensbury also has miles of moderate trails.

And again, on state land, just look for Wild Forest, and make sure there's no "no bikes" sign, and it's all good.

(Wldrns, I can't open the DEC's .KMZ files here on this PC (on a site, no program downloads allowed). Are they available in another format, or are they "wedded" to Google? Just curious what those maps show...)
Old 05-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Just curious what those maps show...
Just to give you an idea of what the link shows...
Here's what the "Mountain Bike Trails" link looks like, zoomed out on the lower
half of the Adks:

Old 05-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
TCD

Thanks, Justin.

Looks like a bunch little unconnected segments. I've ridden some of those areas, and of course there are tons of additional legal trail miles that extend and connect.

The map is quite discouraging at first look - I wonder what algorithm was used to generate the appearance of all those disconnected dead-ends...
Old 05-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Thanks, Justin.

Looks like a bunch little unconnected segments. I've ridden some of those areas, and of course there are tons of additional legal trail miles that extend and connect.

The map is quite discouraging at first look - I wonder what algorithm was used to generate the appearance of all those disconnected dead-ends...
Agreed. When you're able to zoom in, it appears that it's basically just showing roads & trails that are open for MTBs, not necessaryliy trails that are well suited for MTBs, which I think is also mentioned in the disclaimer. Neat link, but I'm not too sure if it's very reliable for MTBs, just yet.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #10
bmike-vt

Quote:
Thanks, Justin.

In some cases yes, things dead end at wilderness or water. In other cases the mapping is just not that good. And others, they plug into dirt or paved roads.

I used this resource to connect quite a bit of mtb, truck trail, dirt road and other connections to cross the ADKs from Burlington down to Utica.

And, a friend found out that some mapped trails actually turned into beaver ponds and water. So, on the ground recon is useful.

Last edited by bmike-vt; 05-02-2015 at 02:17 PM..
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

I found this site not too long ago... I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing, but it does have a fair amount of info:

http://www.adktrailmap.com/

For biking, you can do a search by difficulty, and or location to find some trails. Some of them have descriptions and elevation profiles so you can see if it's singletrack or fire road.

For instance here's an easy ride in Moose River Plains:

http://adktrailmap.com/pdfs/HikeBeaverLake.pdf
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #12
fvrwld

Thanks all for the suggestions. I haven't got out on my mountain bike yet tho. I'm riding the metric century in the Tour de Cure this year and have been more focused on getting road miles in (...and my grad school final exams...and my trip to NV which starts tomorrow). Once I get that done I'll be sure to check out some of these suggestions and will report back.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #13
donstone

I know you said no singletracks but I've been finding some pretty easy trails on www.singletracks.com.

I'm located near Clifton Park and have been riding Kinns Rd, Ushers Rd and Luthers Forest trails and the Vischers Ferry Nature preserve all Summer. All are relatively easy though there are parts of Luthers Forest that you would need to be experienced to feel safe. There's also the Colonie bike path. It's paved but still a decent ride.
donstone is offline   Reply With Quote