Row or paddle for a week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Row or paddle for a week?

I like to do a week or so solo trip each October or early Nov. But I have a dilemma. I'm 74 and can choose between paddling my PBW Spitfire and light gear and portage and traverse beaver dams, or row my beloved wood guide boat with plenty of space for gear (sleeping pad, larger tent, bottle of Scotch, better food, coffee pot, etc.) and avoid any overland stuff. I'm leaning toward the latter because, let's face it, I ain't getting any younger. I've done Cranberry, most of the Whitney, etc.
    Cedar River looks interesting, as does Stillwater. Would CRF be a more isolated trip in mid October? Open to other secluded options as well. Thx.

Can you carry or wheel your Spitfire and gear for a mile? You might try Stillwater, but not necessarily the reservoir itself. Take the old logging road across the bridge below the dam. Get into Raven Lake, Lyon Lake and Bear Pond, plus excursions to several other small lakes in the area that have herd path trails. Wheels would help a great deal, at least initially. You could even wheel your guideboat into the first couple of lakes. For a shorter portage, you can paddle/row north to Site #1 in the "kettlehole" arm and pick up a shortcut trail there to join the main logging road. This will easily occupy and isolate you for a week.
    "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

I can easily portage the canoe. My dilemma is to find an isolated place for the guide boat which is just too heavy for me now. The trade off is take my light weight minimalist gear in the canoe and be able to portage, or take my bulky and more “luxurious” gear in the more spacious and asthetically pleasing guide boat on a single lake.

Comment

Stillwater itself does offer a number opportunities, especially if you are inclined to dayhike to remote sites. although it tends to get a bit windy, particularly even in good clear weather conditions. The isolated town of Beaver River is an interesting destination, with a tavern, inn, and store accesssible only by boat or modified rail car. Summertime motorboats can be annoying, but probably not so much in October. They tend to stick to the centerline "safe channels" anyway, away from shallows and ancient stumps nearer the shoreline. Your guideboat would do well there.
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

I think you'll like either with the guideboat. CRF is really, really nice in fall. There are large mountains surrounding so you can see foliage. I'd try to hit it early to mid-October though.

My personal favorite in fall is Cranberry. Motor boat traffic is WAY down, and the foliage around the lake is spectacular. Lots of different places to camp as well, and every part of the lake is a bit different. I generally prefer the outer flows that are more remote...

Comment

Working...
          X