Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #1
snav3

NOBO Thru Hike

Here's a narration free video of my 8 day NOBO thru hike, with dog.

I started on 21 Aug and had one resupply at Long Lake. I tented both at site on Jessup River and off trail a couple times. Also stayed in LTs at Mud Lake, Cedar Lakes, Stephen's Pond, Plumley Pt #2 and Moose Lake.
Very few people on the trail, there were 2 days where I saw no one. Beautiful trail and a great experience, I would definitely do it again.

https://youtu.be/PL4FeU-Eco8
Old 09-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Looks like you and Penny had a great time. Thanks for letting us tag along.

-dT

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
snapper
snapper

Thanks for sharing your adventure. If you don't mind a few dog oriented questions, I'm wondering about the following....
1. What was the longest extended hike Penny did prior to the NPT?
2. Did you do anything specific to prep her for this trip?
3. How did she react to the suspension bridge over the Cold River...did the metal screening bother her or did she trot right over? This is an area of concern I have for my current pooch so wonder what you may have dealt with.

I think that's it. Thanks for any help you can give me with these questions. Take care care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
snav3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Thanks for sharing your adventure. If you don't mind a few dog oriented questions, I'm wondering about the following....
Hi Snapper,

1. What was the longest extended hike Penny did prior to the NPT?

She has hiked the Cranberry Lake 50 earlier this summer, 3 Ĺ days. She has also done a few high peaks, Haystack, Giant, RPR.

2. Did you do anything specific to prep her for this trip?
I Hike with her a lot and trail run some. We often hike in the Bristol hills, south of Rochester on weekends. Daily walks.

3. How did she react to the suspension bridge over the Cold River...did the metal screening bother her or did she trot right over? This is an area of concern I have for my current pooch so wonder what you may have dealt with.

She did not like that bridge at all and started crying a little. Definitely the metal grid, but also the see through height of it. I secured her leash better than usual and coaxed her across slowly, in front of me and constantly praised her. She was proud of herself once we got to the other side. None of the other NPT bridges were a problem.

Before the hike I kept flip flopping on whether, or not to bring her. I didnít really decide until the last minute, walking around at the Northville trail head for a few minutes. Glad I did, it was worth the extra pack weight for the first few days.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
snapper
snapper

Thanks for all that information. I really appreciate it. My dog is almost 5 years old and does a lot of day hikes with me in the Catskills but so far hasn't done anything like this. Since it's relatively flat, I'm thinking of section hiking with her from Long Lake to the northern terminus of the trail; which is why I wondered about the bridge over the Cold River. She is a rescue and had a "checkered" early life from the best we can determine. She gets pretty spooked by things so I'm glad to hear what you did and how that worked. I figure she only weighs 55 pounds so if I really had to, I could pick her up and carry her over but I'd rather she do it on her own.

Guess that's all for now. Thanks again for your reply. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
Old 09-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
chaser
pond jockey

Great job Pete!!!! Great video. I'm going to go solo at the end of the month. I hope that I get the weather you got.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #7
DuctTape
Out of Shape

If the bridges over Moose Creek and the Cold River are a concern, you could always "take a left" at Shattuck clearing on the horse trail and ford the Cold River downstream of the bridges. This was the NPT route before the bridges were constructed.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:24 AM   #8
snapper
snapper

DuctTape - Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about the former route of the trail so I guess I could do that if my pooch really balked at the bridge. She loves the water so that would actually be a treat for her.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
Old 09-11-2020, 06:16 AM   #9
snav3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Thanks for all that information. I really appreciate it.
Thatís a really nice section of trail, lots of great spots to hang out, or spend the night. Beautiful all along the Cold River. There is a lot of up and down and blow down between Duck hole and Wanika Falls (if you havenít hiked it before). Not too bad though. Enjoy your trip👍.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:22 AM   #10
snav3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser View Post
Great job Pete!!!! Great video. I'm going to go solo at the end of the month. I hope that I get the weather you got.
Thanks. I had pretty good weather for the most part. Did get caught in a couple torrential downpours, but dried out quickly. My Long Lake day was a washout also, but I did finish the trip just before hurricane rains hit.
Enjoy your Hike.