Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
IndLk_Brett

Making Maple Candy from Sap

Anyone have some first hand experience making maple candy from their tree sap? I have no problem getting to the syrup stage, but have yet to try going further in the process to make candy.

I've read a few different 'how to' guides, but they all tend to give slightly different directions so I'm wondering if anyone who has actually done it before could offer a few tips or suggestions on what worked best for them.

What temperature do you heat the syrup to? I've seen 225F or all the way up to 246F. Also, how long do you let it cool after boiling it to the correct temperature before starting to stir the mixture? I've read 3-5 minutes one place and 10 another. Does it just depend on the size of the batch? Is there a specific temperature?

Thanks for any input.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:37 PM   #2
Buckladd

Don't know much about candy, other than my buddy likes the early run of sap for it when it's lighter.

Thanks for reminding me, I usually kick off the maple sap post here. I'm slacking.

That said, how is everyone doing? I put my 13 taps out on Feb. 22. It ran slow at first, but this week sap has been pouring out of the trees. I've pulled about 30 gallons so far. Sunday is my big boiling day. I think here in the Lake George area it's going to run it's course in the next week or so.

And, don't forget IL Brett's candy request to start this post.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
IndLk_Brett

Thanks for the info about using the earlier run of sap for the candy. I definitely prefer maple candy when it has a lighter color (it seems smoother) so I think I'll give that a try and see how it turns out.

I got a fairly late start with my trees this year, but they have been running well so far. I've got nine taps out and all but one have been running at a good clip and dripping pretty consistently. Just about set for my first boil off in a day or two.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
Buckladd

I boiled about 40 gallons on Sunday and got just under a gallon of syrup. Not sure how long it's going to last with the warm, overnight temps. I pulled some taps this afternoon and got about 20 gallons, should get a few more tomorrow and that will do it for me.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #5
Buckladd

Well, how did everyone do with syrup this year? I pulled my taps over a week ago but am wishing I'd let them go a bit as the weather cooled off. Got about a gallon off my 13 t taps. I know it's different everywhere and we're all dealing with this C-19 business. With no disrespect, I'm actually making use of the downtime, working on the leftover's from last year's logging. Be safe all!
Old 03-23-2020, 08:19 AM   #6
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

We've got 39 taps out and have made 6 gallons so far, I'm hoping to get another boil this week. Sugar content in the sap has been really low this year, so it's been more boiling for less syrup but it's all wood fired so it doesn't really cost anything.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote