Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
Dr_1400

Fish advisories

Hello,

I've seen this discussed before, but I'm hoping for some insight on the advisories regarding consuming fish from some Adirondack waters. A few questions come to mind:

1. How often does the DEC (?) conduct mercury testing to know if/when to modify existing advisories?
2. Is data from recent tests is available online?
3. Is there a level at which advisories are dropped, or is any mercury present enough to keep advisories in place?

We're new to the area and have begun fishing with our kids around some lakes/ponds in the SW ADK (Stillwater mostly) and I'm curious what the short/long term projections are on the fisheries there. For now we're planning to stick with catch and release, but curious if anyone here is knowledgeable on the subject.

Any insight/direction appreciated!
Dr_1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:33 PM   #2
Wldrns

There is a group who monitor loon populations in the Adirondacks. They look especially for mercury poisoning. I do know that they are actively monitoring on Stillwater.
https://www.adkloon.org/mercury-3

See Dr. McIntyre’s Research on Stillwater Reservoir here:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...aper+%2320.pdf
Old 06-09-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
BuffaloBomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_1400 View Post
Hello,

I've seen this discussed before, but I'm hoping for some insight on the advisories regarding consuming fish from some Adirondack waters. A few questions come to mind:

1. How often does the DEC (?) conduct mercury testing to know if/when to modify existing advisories?
2. Is data from recent tests is available online?
3. Is there a level at which advisories are dropped, or is any mercury present enough to keep advisories in place?

We're new to the area and have begun fishing with our kids around some lakes/ponds in the SW ADK (Stillwater mostly) and I'm curious what the short/long term projections are on the fisheries there. For now we're planning to stick with catch and release, but curious if anyone here is knowledgeable on the subject.

Any insight/direction appreciated!
Here is the NY health department info. https://www.health.ny.gov/environmen...dack.htm#table

There are quite a few pdf brochures and links on this and the DEC website that might answer your specific question.

I'm not sure how often they do the tests but one thing I noticed since the last time I've looked at this site is that the lakes and ponds I go to have updated. One used to say no perch over 12 inches but that has been removed. And another used to be a no fish consumption for anyone and looks like it now allows certain species.
BuffaloBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #4
TCD

Short story appears to be "eat the fish, unless you might be pregnant." This is correct.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:41 AM   #5
adkman12986

I asked a state retired biologist a couple years ago about eating the fish in the Adirondacks and this is what he said. " when the state test fish they grind up the entire fish. Head skin intestines and belly meat. If you took a fish caught here to Canada to be tested the outcome would be entirely differant because all they use is the parts you would actually eat.
That being said I would much sooner eat a fish from one of the Adirondack lakes or rivers then the Lower Hudson or bought in the store
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote