Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2020, 12:08 PM   #1
blueosprey90

Donaldson 5/22 - 5/24/2020

Reposting as a trip report. It's been years since I've posted and I forgot.

Memorial Day Weekend via Calkins Brook herd path: Glorious weather, but snow/ice rails over 3,200 feet thwarted our progress. Camped at a nice spot on the far side of the first Calkins Brook crossing. Only summited Donaldson. Needed micro spikes. Didn't have!

Snow/ice rails up to 3 or 4 feet deep. Should still be remnants for at least another week.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #2
tenderfoot

Thanks for the report, itchin' to get out.

Black flies?
Old 05-27-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
blueosprey90

Black flies not bad, but I think they will get worse.

Lower elevations quite dry. We walked out on the horse trail, notorious for being muddy, and even that was quite dry.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I assume there's still no designated tent sites near the start of the Calkins Brook herd path?
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
JoeCedar

Correct. That campsite is illegal, less than 150 feet from trail and water, and not marked “camp here”. A few years ago there was a “no camping disk”. You can guess what happened to it. In the general area there is excellent terrain for legal camping conforming to regulation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
MTVhike

Is this the site near where the horse trail crosses the Calkins Brook Truck Trail? I've seen people camping there and was wondering if it's a legal spot.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:06 AM   #7
blueosprey90

After turning south onto the Calkins Brook truck trail from the Blueberry trail, on the left there is a path marked "trail closed". This might be right at the junction with the horse trail. Does not look like a camp site.

About a mile further south on the Calkins Brook truck road, there is a path leading to the left and through the woods it looked like a potentially nice tent site, but it was not marked as a camp site as far as I could see and no water close by.

At the junction of the Calkins Brook truck road and the Calkins Brook herd path, so say 3.3 miles in, plus or minus, there is a flat spot for a tent with a fire ring, but not the most inviting spot. Looked like a spot you might use if you arrived late.

At the first Calkins Brook crossing on the herd path, about 100 feet beyond the crossing on the north side, there was a flat spot for a tent with a fire ring right next to the creek. The slope of the land leaving the creek rose about 30 feet and looked to flatten out for a potential camp site above the creek that would perhaps be "legal".

On the far side of the crossing, next to the herd path and about 100 feet from the Calkins Brook there was the site that we used. A flat spot for a tent and some trees to hang hammocks. Also a fire ring. A second stream flowed behind the site, maybe another 100 feet off. So although well used, not "legal".

Another roughly 1.5 miles in, the trail comes back close to the Calkins Brook and on the stream side there was another small flat spot that looked like had been used as a tent site - or at least had the potential.

Other than these potential spots, the land along the trail was pretty rough. I didn't see anything suitable for tent camping without a lot of work clearing the site. But I have a hammock rather than a tent since I tend to get stuck in the woods without a plan.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #8
MTVhike

I checked the OpenStreetMap layer on Gaia, and where the trail from the PA which becomes the horse trail after crossing the CB Truck trail has a campsite marked just SE of that intersection. This is NOT where the Blueberry Trail crosses the TT, but maybe 1/4 mile south of it.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote