Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #21
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I once stumbled upon a boomalum boat stashed on the shores of Squaw Lake.
What struck me as odd was that the boat was at the far Western shore, on that little tongue (mini peninsula?).
There are no trails or paths to that shore and the only way to reach that boat was by boat!!

Now who in the world would stash a boat in a spot that you need a boat to reach it???

It just didn't make sense to me.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:15 AM   #22
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

up on Henderson Lake we found a pristine Wenonah canoe, kevlar, w/ paddles, but it was unfortunately the day we were packing out. $1800 retail! we left a note on it, asking the owner to remove it, or we would happily move it for them. it was gone the next time we were up there, but now i wonder if that was a DEC boat?
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #23
bluequill

Actually, DEC used to have a canoe stashed in the woods near the put-in on Henderson. That was a few years back.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #24
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

this one was no where near the put-in. you would think if it was a DEC boat, they would have one of their stickers on it.
i keep a list of found boats on various bodies of water too, that are sea-worthy, for future use. it's almost a game of hide-n-seek trying to find 'em on my hikes now.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #25
montcalm
Mobster

Perhaps an emergency or a rescue and it was left to pick up later.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:16 AM   #26
Wldrns

Was it beached on the shore near the leanto on the trail to Preston Pond? Could have been from someone hiking the trail toward Duck Hole, or, there has been lean2Rescue work in that direction at times last season.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #27
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

it was located about 100 yds south of the 1st campsite, camouflaged w/ debris. there was campsite just above, but it was obvious neither had been used in a few months. we were there in the middle of September, went back to check early October, but it was gone.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #28
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
I once stumbled upon a boomalum boat stashed on the shores of Squaw Lake.
What struck me as odd was that the boat was at the far Western shore, on that little tongue (mini peninsula?).
There are no trails or paths to that shore and the only way to reach that boat was by boat!!

Now who in the world would stash a boat in a spot that you need a boat to reach it???

It just didn't make sense to me.
That could be one place where you might come in from Beaver Lake. Or, we have walked a fair way toward the western end down in the woods behind the bedrock outcropping on the north side. The boat may have been stashed for use at another small pond, but not right by the trail to try to keep it "hidden" (the small pond.) The boat would be far from the average hiker's eyes, and almost as far from the trail in as the southern route ( even less trail this way IME), but that may require a lot of wet ground crossing.

After I met a DEC biologist back there and he described the bathymetry of the Lake, I never felt much need to hike far from the east end. I would like to take a boat back again just to get some pix of the main lake.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:33 PM   #29
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Wow, it's been 12 years since I paddled Squaw and Indian...
Squaw shores were thick, other than the campsite near the trail, no evidence of any other camping activity (I circumnavigated the entire lake).
Cool group of islands on the northern side, and an interesting outcropping on the south side.
But no paths or trail evident at all.

More pics here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7XfjZ1JgxcG8YWZo7
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote