Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2004, 03:32 PM   #21
nazdarovye

Looks even less like a Cherokee Six:

http://www.glapinc.com/Piper/pa-32/pa-32a.htm

Still, it's certainly the only accident description I've seen in the database that seems at least plausible as a possibility for this one. And as you said, either way, that wreckage is up there somewhere...

- Steve

(PS - Tim - love your site. First time I've checked it out - good stuff.)

Last edited by nazdarovye; 05-11-2004 at 03:46 PM..
nazdarovye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:50 PM   #22
ADKben

Tim, thanks for doing so much research on this! Im upset that I didn't think to get tail numbers; i know absolutely nothing of planes lol (i didn't even know they had tail numbers haha) That description does seem like the only one i have seen to be plausible; all 4 people died..which I would also assume would be true since the plane was so mangled. It was also on the NE side of Seward and im sure of that. If anyone heads up there sometime in the future, keep your eyes peeled for it. It is during the last 10-15 minutes before topping off on the ridge. I'd say its a half hour from the actual summit itself.
ADKben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 03:28 PM   #23
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00
It seems very likely that the crash site represented is this one:

NYC70AN136
This crashed occurred in June 1970, which is consistent with the sandal seen on the crash site (assuming it was FROM the crash site and not left or otherwise dropped there).

The report also doesn't indicate, like the others in the database, that the plane was retrieved (meaning they left the dibris there for whatever reasons eludes me).

Both consistent with the facts we know.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 04:45 PM   #24
Mavs00
I am the sith

Ben (et all)

I'm an Investigator by profession, so these things kind suck me in. Can't help it. No problem, and I've had some extra time these past few days (note the recent prolific posting ).

site location, elevation, directional info (site consistant with a S bound flight path), apparent debris era certainly all fit very neatly into that accident. However, NAZ brings up a very good point that I agree with. It does not look like the window/door of the plane involved (I looked them up too). The likelyhood that 2 1970 era crash sites on Seward's NE shoulder would be pretty remote (but possible).

I'm gonna assume it is the site and chalk it up to visual miscues from the photo (i.e bad camera angle, etc.) or even a faulty NTSB listing of the type of aircraft involved (which I have seen before). I certainly wouldn't consider the matter closed. I wish somebody with a definitive answer would chime in, but I get the feeling, it's like one of those favorate lake/fishing spots things that people who do know keep on the down low. I too have a few of those spots, so i guess I can relate.

I do plan on visiting the area (perhaps this fall) to check it out. I'll hit Ben up in a PM for further details.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:08 PM   #25
rondak100
Mike

Does anyone have any GPS cordinates for this wreck? It would be easy do distinguish from reports of other wrecks up there if found ,and plotted.

Mike

Neil Young
rondak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:24 PM   #26
BrianH

couldn't resist

Had to register for this thread - has anyone checked the Seward log books?? I might be off base, but think that this plane came down sometime in the late 1980's or early 1990's. I remember seeing several entries within the canister log books on this crash - I believe that there used to be a debris path that folks ended up following instead of the herd path that led them directly to the crash site. And yes, this wreck is just off the Ward brook herd path. I'm sure that someone in the 46e Historians office could help out with the Seward log books.

Interesting earlier note on the crash on Santanoni - a few years back I was doing research in the Santanoni log books - I went through 1950 all the way up through 1990 and in all that time, there was only one lone entry in the Santanoni logs about that crash - some guy soloing, bushwhacking up a drainage appears to have found it I beleive sometime in the late 1980's.

Nye also is supposed to have a lot of plane crashes on it.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:52 AM   #27
Mavs00
I am the sith

Brian, first off Welcome. If this thread did anything, It got you to join.

I'm pretty certain that the crash was not from the 80's or 90's. It's a reported crash (i.e. no bodies, close to a well used 'herd path', etc) so it likely that the NTSB and other officals know about the site and investigated the incident. Given that, it would be in the NTSB database and nothing there is close for Saranac Lake/Harrietstown (where its located) in that era.

another thing, don't even get me started on Nye Mountain (I do have some real work to do you know )
Old 05-13-2004, 03:01 PM   #28
BrianH

Cold Brook pass

Someone mentioned it already, but there is a Cesna (sp?) I believe that came down in the 1970's near the herd path for Marshall. The pilot and passenger walked away from the crash! Plane was essentially intact when I last saw it.

One of the crashes on Nye has a great story (most likely fictional) al la Cliffhanger (the movie!) behind it.

Bhoody
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:55 AM   #29
Mavs00
I am the sith

Epiloge.....

I received an e-mail from Author/Historian Jay O'Hern who stated that the crash in the picture is from the 1950's and involved a local dude. I also heard from a 46er that stated that during his correspondence with Grace (on his road to the 46er), she essentially said the same thing, and added that the pilot walked away. If it came from Grace, you can take it as fact.

btw, I also learned that there are MANY wrecks in the HP's area, including the one earlier in this thread on Seward. I do plan to go see some of them.

btw, follow Jay's link above for some of his books. They are great, in particular the one about Noah John Rondeau and his Cold River Hermitage. Great stuff and a unique history of ADks and the Cold River Valley. Pick it up if you get a chance.

Last edited by Mavs00; 05-17-2004 at 12:51 PM..
Mavs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:34 PM   #30
nazdarovye

Good sleuthing, Tim.

I'm still curious to find out what kind of plane it was - it's certainly an unusual door and window...maybe Jay knows where to find out.
nazdarovye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #31
bud

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=759,6435197

This article is about the Seward crash near the summit
bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #32
dundee

Sad. But I did enjoy the ad for lettuce @ $.15!
dundee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #33
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

I dunno whats older that article or this thread!

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #34
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissionpoint View Post
I dunno whats older that article or this thread!
Good price on paint, better stock up....
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:11 AM   #35
Chuck_Schwerin

Further details on the crash

I came upon this crash site while bushwhacking from Seymour to Seward via Ouluska Pass. I think it was around 1980 but not exactly sure. I recall the loafer looking like it was nearly new and wondered if the crash had been called in. There was a faint herd path leading from the site to the standard Seward herdpath, but very faint. When we got back from the hike we called the DEC and happened to speak to a ranger who said he had been on the recovery trip - on his first week on the job - and that it had happened about 10 years previously. Very chilling.
Chuck_Schwerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #36
azimuth

Yes, I believe your call in caused some excitement as they were unsure at first if you were reporting a new crash.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #37
azimuth

Finally found it after a couple of unsuccessful attempts. It is not as picked over as most crash sites in the ADK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1395.jpg (157 Bytes, 188 views)
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #38
Annapolitan

ADKben, we saw this wreckage, as well. We were hiking soon after the 1998 Labor Day storm and due to storm damage, lost the herd trail fairly soon after we left our lean to. We were hiking along a ridge (holding on to moss, as I remember, for dear life) when we came across this same plane wreckage. I was a teenager at the time. I've been asking my dad to report this for years, as we did not see it in the ADK Life article. I wish we had taken a picture, however it was very eerie, we saw loafers and that was about it. We ended up hiking over Seward, Donaldson, and Emmons and did not make it back to the lean to until about 11pm that night. Most treacherous hike we've ever had.
Annapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #39
Limmin

Hey all,

I found this thread while searching for more info on my uncle's plane crash of 1970. I think you may have found the site, and I wanted to express my gratitude for the respectful way this topic has been treated.

Without going into too much detail, as you can imagine, this crash had a huge impact on my family. I was just a baby, but my young mom, 24 was tasked with taking care of the sole survivor, the eldest son, who was not onboard.

She and my uncle were very close. The Harding family (using the name because it's in the linked NTSB report(s)) flew up from Jacksonville, FL to southern Wisconsin, to visit my mom and dad and see me (almost 1 year old). My mom got to spend time with her nephews, of which 3 were on the trip. My uncle was a PhD engineer, in high demand, doing consulting work around the country and even to some overseas destinations. He liked to fly, and had just received his instrument rating. On this trip he brought his wife and three boys, the eldest just barely a teenager, and who was wearing loafers (yes) on this trip.

After visiting Wisconsin, they headed East, I believe to Montreal, for an environmental engineering conference. When that was done, he flew across the border and landed at Massena to do customs clearance stuff. That done, they opted to fly SE to view the Adirondacks, because the weather was supposed to be sparkling clear, after a front had passed through. His next stop was to be in Maryland, about halfway down to Jax.

Well, there was a secondary front, and clouds obscured the mountain tops. He called ATC to switch to an IFR flight plan and started to ascend. Long story short, they impacted the top of Seward mountain instead of clearing it.

One of the first things that happened, was that the local tower, who knew something was wrong, phoned my mom in Wisconsin. She knew that something bad had happened, but they wouldn't share details, in fact the caller tried to get off the phone as quickly as possible. The rest you can read about in the (again, thanks) linked article about the crash, scanned by Google.

Last edited by Limmin; 04-20-2020 at 01:00 PM..
Limmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #40
Limmin

...adding more now; being my first post I needed to be sure it would work

Again, you all have my gratitude for the great sleuthing work here. Where the trail seems to leave off is in identifying, for sure, what wrecked plane is up there. Studying the very good photograph of the door by ADKben, I looked for a few hours for a matching photo, of their aircraft, of the right vintage, with the same paint scheme. I finally found it. If I can post photos here as a newbie, I will do so.

What you should see is the crash site photo of the door, and what I consider an exact match, from a late 1960's Piper PA-32. Note the black pinstriping at the top of the door, and the door handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52645.jpg (54.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg pa-32 edited.jpg (117.3 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Limmin; 04-20-2020 at 03:02 PM..
Limmin is offline   Reply With Quote