Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #21
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

That's OK, Greg. Justin did see the wagon coming in as he went out, and we saw very fresh tracks and droppings from the horses and wagon.
I tried to assemble a group of weaker souls last year to take the wagon ride in and out with canoes. I couldn't convince anyone in my small circle to chip in for the wagon ride...if you amortize the cost for a group, it could almost reasonable. That would be the best of both worlds, all the rewards of camping and paddling Newcomb Lake but without the suffering!! A wagon ride might even be fun, and certainly a memorable experience.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #22
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Justin,
Same here, nice meeting you...you could have stayed for dinner or hung around the campfire you know.
Thanks mike.
I know, and I thought about walking back over after I relaxed for a while and had something more to eat, but then that storm blew in I was fearing for the worst!
Luckily it flew over the Santanonis and just missed us... all I got was a few sprinkles and a lot of welcomed wind (you too?), so I decided to just hang out and enjoy the view.
I waited around 'till 9:30am hoping to see you guys, but the black flies really wanted me out of there, so I had to leave.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #23
Vermont Scott

Quote:
I tried to assemble a group of weaker souls last year to take the wagon ride in and out with canoes. I couldn't convince anyone in my small circle to chip in for the wagon ride...if you amortize the cost for a group, it could almost reasonable. That would be the best of both worlds, all the rewards of camping and paddling Newcomb Lake but without the suffering!! A wagon ride might even be fun, and certainly a memorable experience.
Consider me a weak soul If you are up for another group trip to help share the costs of a wagon ride let me know, if it fits in with my schedule I'd love to go. I haven't been back there in OMG 15 years It's on my to do list for this summer/autumn but probably just a day hike unless there are enough 'weak souls' out there.

Scott
Old 04-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #24
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I was reviewing old photos and TR's the other day, since the possibility of new trips is so uncertain...

I updated the obsolete link in post #12 and will also put it here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PfhDq9RcwSL1oZqf6

BTW, in the ten years since this trip, it has become the "gold standard" for all that joined me, by which all other wilderness paddling (carrying?) trips are compared.
I know we have quite an assemblage of newer members here, maybe you've never seen this TR before.

Enjoy, everyone, and stay safe and healthy.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #25
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Thanks for updating the link. I had considered this as a possible paddle route myself, but after peering through satellite imagery and some scouting along the river, I judged it to be more effort than it was worth. Sounds like my judgement was solid. I do admit, however, that the view from the road at the Newcomb Lake end- over Upper and Lower Duck Holes- does look enticing.

There is an old road that parallels the river. It starts on on the west side of the river, on Campsite Road just east of the entrance to the Lake Harris Campground. The start of the road is a bit tricky to find, and it crosses several recent skid trails within the first quarter mile so figuring out the correct route to follow is a moderate challenge. Once it passes out of the more recently harvested area, it becomes more obvious and the road soon crosses the river to the east side which it follows all the way to Camp Santanoni. The crossing can be rock hopped when the water is pretty low but you'll get your feet wet in normal conditions.

I walked the road in it's entirety last summer, combining it with the road walk from the camp as well as the foot trail along the north shore of Lake Harris to make a loop. The north end of the old road got pretty overgrown (and there were some decent patches of blowdown) but for the most part it wasn't too hard to follow. It does get a bit muddy in spots, but if the DEC were ever to open it up as a trail, it would make for a very nice ski loop. (Until recently, the very south end of the old road was on private property; said property was recently acquired by the state.)

As a follow-up to this paddling trip, you should try to paddle the Boreas River upstream from Blue Ridge Road to Boreas Ponds. The first stretch looks like it'd be tough- but there is an old road on the west shore of the river that would get you to the Brace Dam by portaging (although getting to the road is a challenge- the first bit of it is on private property, and there's decent blowdowns where it passes onto state land). Once you get above the old Brace Dam site, it looks like you'd have good flat water paddling for a decent stretch.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #26

Love Newcomb Lake. Have biked in and skied in to Camp Santanoni several times. Borrowed boats from the boathouse and had great paddle around. Staying at the leantos there looks like the next thing I have to do on my next visit. Thanks for the pics.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:40 PM   #27
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2505 View Post
Love Newcomb Lake. Have biked in and skied in to Camp Santanoni several times. Borrowed boats from the boathouse and had great paddle around. Staying at the leantos there looks like the next thing I have to do on my next visit. Thanks for the pics.
Fish Rock- the lean-to on the west shore- can be moderately popular, and it's easy to see why. It's a gorgeous spot.

Ward Pond Brook- the lean-to on the east shore- gets less use, especially now that the hunting club to the north has relocated over closer to Upper Works. It's still a nice spot to camp, though.

Some of the tent sites (scattered along the south shore in the vicinity of the Great Camp) are also pretty nice. Site #8 especially is a choice campsite (although I do wish that the trail didn't go right through the middle of it).

If you know your way around, it's possible to hike from the Ward Pond Brook Lean-to all the way to the Bradley Pond trailhead in Upper Works by way of established herd paths and logging roads. As it is, there's a number of unmarked junctions to content with- so any hiker attempting this route needs to be fairly competent in backcountry navigation.

There's an official DEC trail connecting Newcomb Lake with the Bradley Pond Trail also planned for some point in the future (although it will likely be a while before it's open, given that in the modern era of trail building there's a lot of scouting and trail hardening that is necessary in the construction of any new trail).

Also, if you ever get a chance to head up that way, Moose Pond is nice too. There's two designated tent sites there, a real nice one down by the water, and a second site that is set back in the clearing at the end of the old road (still a nice site). I probably wouldn't trust the outhouse to support the weight of my seated heinie, though. Getting there is a bit of an adventure- if you take the trail over from Newcomb Lake, the trail gets faint and hard to follow in a couple of spots (although it was fairly recently remarked with new markers). The old road that splits off from the road to Newcomb Lake at the height of the hill is much easier to follow, but even this is starting to get a bit brushy in spots.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:55 PM   #28
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

D,
A trip up the Boreas to Boreas Ponds would be roughly 7.5 miles, with a gain of 260 ft or so...
That works out to be around 36 ft/mile average. Maybe going downstream with spring flows, but probably not. Definitely not an upstream trip!

I've paddled the mid-Boreas, from Cheney Pond to rt 28N, that was an average drop of 25 ft/mile, and all of the rock gardens had to be lined. Here's the old TR from that one:

http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t...ghlight=boreas

As for the fun factor of these seldom paddled waters, it's hard to beat a trip down the Chain Drain, nice paddling and not a death march in sight.

If DEC should ever cut a trail alongside the Newcomb River, a trip upstream would be much more popular...the paddling part was great, but carrying while bushwhacking with full packs, not so much.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #29
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I wasn't involved in the paddling side of things in 2010, but I read the trip report and looked at the pictures sometime after the fact and it certainly left an impression in my mind. Whenever I get into a difficult spot while carrying my canoe and camping stuff I think of that, and of Conk's trips in the Five Ponds area, and I decide that what I am dealing with can't be very bad.

I went to Santanoni by bicycle in 2010 and 2012, and finally made it back with the canoe and bicycle in 2017. It was a pretty easy trip in on the dirt road in 2017, the sand traps seemed to have been solidified and having the canoe on Newcomb Lake was definitely worth the trip. I don't think I'll ever be brave enough to try the river approach unless the DEC makes the new trail.
Zach
Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #30
Titanium Spork
Happy camper

How were those strip canoes built?

@stripperguy, can you give some clues as to how you made these marvelous boats? Kits or plans? We built the Northeaster Dory from CLC Boats, and are interested in new projects. We currently have a 16.5ft 55lb fibreglass tandem, which is a great all-round boat, but something smaller and lighter might be nice for those long portages.
Titanium Spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #31
tenderfoot

T-Spork,

CLC's Sassafras 12 is relatively light and capable. 28lb weight and 275lb payload.

I am looking at Skin on Frame as well. Not affiliated with any of these guys but you may wish to check out (via google) Kudzucraft, Dave Gentry Boats, Cape Falcon Kayaks, and Berkshire boat building school.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #32
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mr spork, I’m using my phone just now so it’s a bit cumbersome
If you search my screen name and DY Special, or Kite or Strip you’ll find several in depth build threads. You could nearly build using just those threads as a guide.
None of my boats have been kits, and some are my own designs. BTW, my first build was in 1978!
I had a 17 ft tandem that weighed 38 lbs and still have an 18 ft tandem that weighs 40 lbs
I’m slowly heading toward composite builds with foam cores, such a 17 ft tandem could weigh around 30 lbs and be much stiffer and tougher than any production boats.
As it is, the strippers are very easy to live with, surprising strong yet lightweight and cost about 1/4 the cost of a similar performing production boat.
Feel free to PM me for more details that might be unique to your needs/desires.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:56 PM   #33
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Quote:
You could nearly build using just those threads as a guide.
Before I built my first strip canoe in 2014 I read all of stripperguy's build threads and they were indeed a guide in themselves, and he also very kindly answered a lot of questions that I still had, and was very encouraging and helpful. Building a strip canoe is very satisfying, at least I found that it was.
Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #34
Titanium Spork
Happy camper

Thanks, this is great. I would be looking at a tandem canoe. Like I said we have 16.5 foot Odyssée made by Canots Quessy (now sadly defunct) in Shawinigan, Quebec. It is better known as the rebranded Langford Nahanni. It's very similar to the Swift Kipawa. It weighs about 55 pounds.We don't do any white water, so I like a good tracking boat without much rocker. We would keep the Quessy for trips without much portaging, use the dory on Lake Champlain, and so I'm looking at a small light boat for longer trips involving long portages. We travel light and weigh less than 280lb between us so I'm thinking a boat with less volume.
Titanium Spork is offline   Reply With Quote