Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
SShular

Car camping near Little Tupper

Hey all, looking for the closest place to ‘car camp’ the night before our Little Tupper trip. Looking to drop a few tents somewhere for one night.
SShular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

There's horseshoe pond, to the north... but it can be popular there. There's also been problems with bear activity at Horseshoe this summer, so keep all food secure and out of sight in your car.

There's pseudo-roadside sites on the road to the Deer Pond access for the Essex Chain (from the Newcomb side). These aren't particularly close to Little Tupper but depending on which direction you are coming from they could be along the way anyways. I say "pseudo-roadside" because for most of them you park and walk a few hundred feet into the site. They are OK sites, the biggest advantage to them is that they get relatively little use. The sites are all located between the Goodnow Flow and the Deer Pond parking area.

Last edited by DSettahr; 09-07-2020 at 08:10 AM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

Lake Eaton, Cranberry Lake, or Rollins Pond - they usually have non-reservation sites available for drive-in.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #4
backwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Lake Eaton, Cranberry Lake, or Rollins Pond - they usually have non-reservation sites available for drive-in.
For camping ,you have to pre register/ reserve at least a day in advance at all state parks and DEC campgrounds this year . No day visiting by anyone not registered at the campsites either .
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
SShular

Thanks all. This so super helpful. If we stick to the plan I think we’ll try for horseshoe. After discussing today however I think we may just put-in Thursday when we get up there, 5-6pm, and head up to find a site. Any thoughts on availability on a Thursday evening?
Any fav sites that we could hit on that evening (short) paddle?
Thanks again.
SShular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It's really tough to say. This year has been a banner year for backcountry use levels. I camped at Lila on a Thursday night back in early July and the lake was just about at capacity from what I could tell.

It does seem like a lot of users are showing up earlier on Fridays and even Thursdays this year to try to beat the weekend crowds.

That being said, I'd like to think that we'll see some diminishing use levels in the coming weeks (as is typical)... but who knows what the rest of the season has in store.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote