Boats in the Adirondack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
    I never saw a canvas covered or wood boat left on the ground at the end of a carry in all my years of fishing.
    The fishermen made an above ground rack to store their boat.
    Of course, they took the paddles or oars with them.
    Mr Scrabble,
    I stumbled upon a wooden guideboat that had been stashed for quite some time. It was tucked (mostly) under some overhanging rocks between the two Prestons. This was back in the first year that those lands were open to the public, maybe 10 years ago now. Wasn't much left of it then, it was slowly getting swallowed by the forest. It was built with brass screws, so it must not have been all that old...

Comment

Originally posted by Creekwader View Post
      Just my opinion based on limited observation but DEC personnel, especially those that live in the small park communities, are not usually staunch environmentalists and are therefore likely to look the other way at times especially with stuff like this. Not a priority for them and probably some of them use said boats on occasion. And let's not forget the money aspect. The seaplane operators for as long as they've been flying clients have brought in boats and stashed them around. Is DEC going to make them haul out their boats? I guarantee a significant portion of the boats Bioguide found came in on planes, that pond is big business for them.
      A well known pond used by floatplanes often has the lean-to areas set us as a circus. zthe plane operator has a half dozen boats stashed at a campsite on the other side if the pond. everyone knows it,, but the authorities look the other way.
      "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
        ...everyone knows it,, but the authorities look the other way.
        It's true... It's an age old Adirondack tradition that unfortunately is still not that uncommon. Many folks don't mind, some do. Like litter, it definitely gets a bit out of hand in certain areas, and it's good to speak up when it does, and/or help.

Comment

I've hauled out several over the years. At age 66 I'm unlikely to do another. The portable sawzall idea bears some serious consideration.
          Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
            Mr Scrabble,
            I stumbled upon a wooden guideboat that had been stashed for quite some time. It was tucked (mostly) under some overhanging rocks between the two Prestons. This was back in the first year that those lands were open to the public, maybe 10 years ago now. Wasn't much left of it then, it was slowly getting swallowed by the forest. It was built with brass screws, so it must not have been all that old...
            Mr Stripper,
            Brass screws and brads have been used in the construction of wood boats and canoes for at least 100 years. They don't rust, that is the reason that they were used.
            That boat that you found was probably left by a deceased fisherman who took the care to shelter his boat under those rocks.
            The brass fittings would far outlast the wooden hull.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
              It's true... It's an age old Adirondack tradition that unfortunately is still not that uncommon. Many folks don't mind, some do. Like litter, it definitely gets a bit out of hand in certain areas, and it's good to speak up when it does, and/or help.
              I can remember the time when guide boats and canoes were left at trail junctions in the St Regis area.
              All of the old-timers did it, Louie, everyone.
              Even in the 60's.
              Sadly, times have changed.
              I feel sorry for you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
                I can remember the time when guide boats and canoes were left at trail junctions in the St Regis area.
                All of the old-timers did it, Louie, everyone.
                Even in the 60's.
                Sadly, times have changed.
                I feel sorry for you guys.
                You feel bad we actual protect our wild areas now and we don't have to deal with other people's junk except for lean tos?

Yeah... me too

Comment

This conversation is unending.
                  In one sentence, you approve of leantos??
                  But not the old time practice to leave a boat at the end of a carry?.

Comment

Working...
                  X