Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #21
hike53

Both aircraft had remote controlled tail guns, however there were variations of the B36 with remote controlled turrets. My father was stationed at PAFB from 1958 thru 1962 attached to the Air Police. He always talked about the crash on Wright and the KC-135 that went down on approach at the base. Looking at crash reports and not seeing much. It would be nice to find the turret and then it would be almost impossible to not be able to identify what it came from by size of the weapons (if they are still present) and physical form of the turret. Looks like a project for when the snowcover disappears
hike53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #22
JimVroman

There was a bomber that crashed high on Wrights Peak in the McIntyre range back in the 60,s.
I think it was a plane out of Plattsburg.
Jim
JimVroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #23
Telemarkmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hike53 View Post
There were never turrets on the B52's only a quad fifty manned tail gun.
I haven't looked into the details of the different planes, I'm just reporting what I've heard. In any case, I'd like to find the location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Could it be from a B-36 or a B-47? I don't know much about them other than they were the two generations in between.
Zach
If I find it, I'll be sure to take lots of pictures. Then maybe it can be identified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hike53 View Post
Both aircraft had remote controlled tail guns, however there were variations of the B36 with remote controlled turrets. My father was stationed at PAFB from 1958 thru 1962 attached to the Air Police. He always talked about the crash on Wright and the KC-135 that went down on approach at the base. Looking at crash reports and not seeing much. It would be nice to find the turret and then it would be almost impossible to not be able to identify what it came from by size of the weapons (if they are still present) and physical form of the turret. Looks like a project for when the snowcover disappears
I'm going to go in when there is just a little snow left and again before the leaves are on the trees to see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVroman View Post
There was a bomber that crashed high on Wrights Peak in the McIntyre range back in the 60,s.
I think it was a plane out of Plattsburg.
Jim
That was probably the most well known of the crashes. Here is a short article that talks about Adirondack plane crashes. I don't know how many of them still have wreckage in the area.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #24
SummitHat
That was fun

Gun Turret Ejection Dec 9, 1960

The tail gun turret on a B52 could be ejected, enabling crew to exit the plane through the tail.

A gun turret ejection occurred over the Adirondacks in Dec 9, 1960, followed by a crash of the plane near Barre, Vermont.

From http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/aircraft_by_type/b52_stratofortress.htm :

"The B 52 started its flight in Springfield Mass at Westover AFB and did what they called the watertown bomb run in mid NY. They travelled as far north as the St. Lawrence seaway passing over Massena NY. During the night the bomber rolled over and lost altitude.
The navigator thinking she was breaking up ejected without direction from the pilot. When he did there was a loud noise and the pilot thinking she was breaking up ordered the crew to eject.
The plane had righted itself and the instructor on board yelled to the pilot and co pilot to stay with the bird.
In the end the instructor was the only one left so he ejected as well. The plane continued to fly on making large up and down spirals and crashed in Plainfield Vermont 50 miles from where the crew left her.

All survived, except for Sgt Maheux, they were injured and had frost bite due to cold and snow in the area of the Adirondac Mountains.
Maheaux was found seven months later and either the chute hadn't opened or he landed on a rock killing him instantly.

The plane crashed and burned in an open field making a crater 350' long, 30' deep and 30' wide.
There were no deaths or injuries on the ground.

Bill Lyon
in emails April 2008"
SummitHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:32 AM   #25
azimuth

That is the correct crash. According to specs it should have been the quad 50 but the gentleman is pretty adamant it was not a 50 and he is a veteran familiar with the guns. I did a thorough search in the area 2 years ago with 5 people and we didn't get anything. There is/was a rumor around town about a local who found it and drug out one of the barrels. That man has since passed and I don;t know if it's true. I am going to do another search this spring based on the new info. If anyone does find it they need t report it. The feds do take possession of automatic weapons seriously, even something thats been in the woods 50 years. This is something that has plaqued wreck chasers in the past. I do have a chapter in my book dedicated to this crash. I think it is one of the more compelling stories.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #26
Telemarkmike

Azimuth - If you want company on the next search let me know. Have you narrowed the search area to something reasonable?

Tags
blue ridge mountain, hoffman notch wilderness