Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #21
timetohike

Guys that have it, get it. Guys that don't, don't. Ratio doesn't matter.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #22
kayakrski

I graduated from the Ranger School in '03 and I cannot say enough about my experiences there. I was 32 when I finally made there after wanting to go since I was about 16. Although it's only a one year program it is VERY intense. 24 credits a semester. 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Fiday and if you say your sick then you'd better be sick because someone will check on you. The average graduating class is probably 40 students and everyone really pulls together to get things done. There are only 2 courses of study. Forest Technology and Land Surveying. Many people that choose forestry go on to SUNY ESF to obtain their Bachelors.

You should consider Land Surveying if you want to live/work in the park. I went in to the Ranger School for forestry with the intention of becoming a Forest Ranger but changed over to Land Surveying mid year because I found the surveying classes to be interesting and the local job outlook much better. That and because I was a correction officer for 7 years I had already had to start a career downstate and work my way home and really didn't want to do it again. I've never looked back. Whichever you choose, you will be learning some surveying and forestry because they really are interrelated.

If you have any interest in the Ranger School PM me and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

I really can't add much on PSC but quite a few of my friends are grads and the common consensus is that they are pretty comparable education wise but Smitt'y is MUCH more expensive. The only positive benefits that I can see of PSC over Ranger School if you're going for a 4 year degree in forestry at PSC you get to stay at the same campus for the whole time rather than transfer to Syracuse for the remaining two years(at Ranger School). I guess that can be quite a shock...going from the rural Adirondacks to the big city.

Gregg
Old 08-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #23
azimuth

Joan Weill-Paul Smiths College
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #24
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
Joan Weill-Paul Smiths College
Nothing like throwing live bait into a thread, to see who snaps at it...

TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #25
montcalm
Mobster

Those sportsmen always seem to take the bait...

Not much sense in posting anything controversial in this forum. Someone will be offended and in a couple days it will be deleted.

Might as well start a blog and wait for an expert to criticize it.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #26
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I'm not really in favor of the change. But I look at the flurry of posts and "activism" that has been flooding my facebook feed over the past few weeks and I can't help but think to myself "Really? This is what we are going to put all of this energy towards?" It'd be nice to see such a large group of people putting this much effort towards a cause that would have a more beneficial outcome.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #27
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I'm not really in favor of the change. But I look at the flurry of posts and "activism" that has been flooding my facebook feed over the past few weeks and I can't help but think to myself "Really? This is what we are going to put all of this energy towards?" It'd be nice to see such a large group of people putting this much effort towards a cause that would have a more beneficial outcome.
I think the change is technically illegal, but I can't agree with your outlook enough.

In the number of things that have my attention regarding the Adirondacks, this is about bottom of the barrel...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #28
randy savage

how do you know when your buddy is dating a girl from paul smiths? he pulls in and there is chew spit running down both sides of his truck! im a smitty alum as well class of 96' baby
randy savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #29
mike7575

Does anyone have any info on the culinary program at Paul Smith
mike7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #30
yellowcanoe

No except in July when we are at PSC we attend the Wed Night Farm to Table dinner put on by first and second year culinary and hospitality students.

The food is excellent. The service is awesome and comes without spittle.

Now as to your diet as a student..Poor you.. Sodexho really is awful..
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #31
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I'm a '70 graduate of PSC , so my input is really irrelevant to the school today. That being said , if your and outdoorsie type, there's no better place to be. I wouldn't trade my experience there for any amount of money.
My job right out of PSC was cruising timber for Huntington Forest in Newcomb for what was at the time called the NY State college of Forestry at Syracuse. Odd that they didn't hire all their own graduates, 2 of the 5 of us were from PSC. That was a good year, then my draft # came up and I enlisted in the USAF. (half my basic training class got their draft notice at Lackland) After the military I went to UMass Amherst for my BS in forestry, I learned a lot more about real world forestry at PSC, UMass was all theory, labs mostly inside in the classroom. Nothing like learning Dendrology by being out in the field, in the winter on snowshoes 10 degrees below learning tree identification.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #32
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Yankee View Post
Nothing like learning Dendrology by being out in the field, in the winter on snowshoes 10 degrees below learning tree identification.
That sounds like one of our labs in Silviculture when I was a PSC student. Snowshoes and -10 degrees Fahrenheit. Everyone's face was covered in balaclavas, scarfs, and ski goggles, so the only way to recognize most of your classmates was by their last name, written in sharpie on their helmet. You couldn't use pen to take notes or record information while cruising timber, because the ink would freeze solid.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #33
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
You couldn't use pen to take notes or record information while cruising timber, because the ink would freeze solid.
That's funny. When I attended college we weren't allowed to use pens in the field for any outdoor lab work. Pens break, run out of ink, etc., etc. We could only use wood pencils that had to be sharpened. Good reasoning by our professors.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #34
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I think pens were strongly discouraged but not outright banned. Most students learned pretty quickly to use pencils anyways, for reasons like those you stated. Pencil lead also doesn't run in the rain like ink does.

I took at surveying course at ESF where we were required to use pencils, and weren't allowed to ever erase any anything (our pencils didn't even have erasers on them). The reason is that a surveying field book is a legal document and you have to maintain access to every piece of information you record. Mistakes could be crossed out but still needed to be legible. (Also, you never know if while you are back in the computer lab entering all of your data into the computer you might realize that your "mistake" really wasn't a mistake, and you need access to the original recorded information after all.)

My memory is a bit hazy from my PSC times but I think erasing anything in field notes there was also discouraged for similar reasons.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #35
Jackson

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go to PSC in a nano second.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 AM   #36
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
If I had to do it all over again, I'd go to PSC in a nano second.
At around $40K a year I'd be looking at some other schools.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote