Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Native Brook Trout

Can anyone recommend a book that describes the different strains of native Brook Trou? I'm getting a lot of info searching the web I was curious if anyone a good source.

http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/trout/honnedaga.htm

I'm very interested in the topic of preservation/restoration and I would love to contribut to a group that follows this cause. I've found this one but most of their work is outside of New York / Daks.

http://easternbrooktrout.org/project...unded-projects

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
Can anyone recommend a book that describes the different strains of native Brook Trou? I'm getting a lot of info searching the web I was curious if anyone a good source.

http://pond.dnr.cornell.edu/trout/honnedaga.htm

I'm very interested in the topic of preservation/restoration and I would love to contribut to a group that follows this cause. I've found this one but most of their work is outside of New York / Daks.

http://easternbrooktrout.org/project...unded-projects

Thanks!
PQ,

For NY or throughout the original range? For NY Cornell is the best resource. I am not sure if there is one book that would cover it all but Nick Karas' is a must have for a variety of reasons. I am not sure how much info is available for Canada. I know of the Temiscamie, Assinica and Nipigon strains, but like the Adirondacks they might have hundreds of strains, both identified and not.

I am not sure if the Minipi system is considered an isolated strain or a derivative.

Let me know if you find anything interesting.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Basically just New York. I was thinking that some of the smaller streams I've been fishing more than likely are heritage strains that I would like to see protected. The fish are never real big but it's real fun to use real light gear and a 16 mayfly or to nymph with a prince to catch these really nice fish. I took a video of what i think is a spawning pair as well.

I like to donate money and time to causes I support and the preservation of brook trout habitat hits real close to home.

Thanks for the info I'll keep fishing around!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

PQ have you tried getting in touch with Dec an see if they could help you?
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
geogymn

Sounds like a great hobby and goal! I know there are lakes devoid of trout but is the same true for streams?
There is a regular section in the rag Field and Stream that highlights " Heroes of Conservation". You might glean some info from there:

fieldandstream.com/heroes
Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Glen
Check please

PQ,

You might already have this info but there was a good discussion here:

http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t...eritage+strain

The heritage strains recognized by DEC at this time are:

Little Tupper
Horn Lake
Windfall
Honnedaga
Nate Pond
Stink Pond
Balsam
Dix
Tunis
Tamarack

The last one is extinct and many of the others are close. DEC uses primarily Horn Lake and Little Tupper in their current restoration programs, with a few Windfall as well. There are one or two Catskill strains recognized as well.

I think DEC's budget limitations make it difficult to spend resources identifying other strains though they may exist. Problem is so many lakes were wiped out by acidity we will never know about those, and most others had some prior stocking history which would preclude them from status. The Assinica and Temiscamie strains which were hybridized with the Domestic strain and still used for stocking are from Canada and not heritage to us in any case.

From a catching standpoint I find the Little Tuppers easier to catch on a fly. The Horn Lake fish are tough but beautiful.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Email or call Rich Preall at the DEC. if you do find a way to contribute to their cause please let me know. I am a member of the Eastern Brook Trout Venture. It went nowhere.

Like Glen, I like Little Tuppers for their aggressiveness. Horn Lake fish can be downright frustrating sometimes. Windfalls in one pond I like fight well beyond their size.

Good luck in your noble search and keep us posted!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Tamarack

The last one is extinct and many of the others are close.
For many years I have hiked by the signs on trees forbidding fishing for the Tamarack strain in the pond so named. I heard a few years ago that sadly there are no more of them.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Ditto on the Horn Lake strain.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Gman

As someone who fishes more in Southeastern and Central Ontario (not the north) than the ADK's I find unique differences with ADK brookies. The maximum size of pond/lake brookies in the ADK's are smaller although they do have a nice average size. The average ADK pond brookie is a nice fish but in Ontario 5lbs plus brookies in Algonquin and south are quite common. A stalwart brookie angler could catch a trout bigger than the NY record fairly frequent.

The Adirondack ponds are shallower and the trout eat more insects. Ontario ponds are deeper and may have pelagic baitfish and stunted perch which the big brookies eat alot of. As a fly fisherman I prefer Adirondack ponds. In Ontario alot of huge brookies are caught on conventional tackle and sadly thru the ice.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote