Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
OntarioSkiBum

Latest Arrival at DEC campsites

I'm heading up there this weekend for a trip into the High Peaks Wilderness. I'd like to get an early start Friday morning, but can't leave for the 5-6 hour drive until after dinner on Thursday. I was thinking of doing a walk-up to a DEC campground... maybe Nicks Lake, on Thursday night, but if its not 11pm-12am by the time I get there, will I still be able to book in?
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

I think they close at 9 to 10pm, depending on the place.

You could see if you can preregister and come in that late, but I'm not sure they will allow it.

I'd look for a site on Floodwood Rd and if for some reason there are none, then head to Jones Pond, and save Mountain Pond as an extreme backup.

There are drive up sites in all those areas which will put you within 1/2hr to 45min of the Loj.

If you happen to be wanting to go in via Upper Works I would head into Moose River Plains WF from Indian Lake side and take the first open site.

Last edited by l'oiseau; 07-17-2013 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Added Upper Works.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
dundee

You know, l'oiseau, I liked your old avatar better, the one with you (?) in a boat with a guitar. Every time I looked at it, I kept wondering if you were going to do a Pete Townshend windmaill and fall in the water! (guitar unplugged, of course!)
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Haha. This one is my family crest. That other one was actually Les Claypool of Primus. He is a pretty avid outdoorsman and one heck of a bass player!

If you haven't noticed I change them every week or so, as well as my caption, just to keep things fresh...
Old 07-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
I think they close at 9 to 10pm, depending on the place.

You could see if you can preregister and come in that late, but I'm not sure they will allow it.

I'd look for a site on Floodwood Rd and if for some reason there are none, then head to Jones Pond, and save Mountain Pond as an extreme backup.

There are drive up sites in all those areas which will put you within 1/2hr to 45min of the Loj.

If you happen to be wanting to go in via Upper Works I would head into Moose River Plains WF from Indian Lake side and take the first open site.

Well sites are limited on Mountain Pond. There weren't any last week that wer vacant. Nicks Pond is two hours from Floodwood. None of the campgrounds are gated. If you can find a vacant site you can pay next morning. So it goes at my recent DEC campground stay.

That said. Nicks looks sorta booked. Last I checked there were twenty five vacancies but with late arrival you can't count on those being there.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Yeah I know you can just drive in at night... I was wondering what they may say to you?

I suspect one might find a roadside site easier than a DEC site these days unless you booked in advance. I was all over the park during my last stay and most all the DEC grounds had the no vacancy sign out when I drove by. I saw a lot of vacancies for free sites though... surprising on a holiday weekend.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
yellowcanoe

They don't say a darn thing. They might not be there. There may be a list of available campsites at the entrance. Be careful of roadside sites. There is one on Jones Pond (out of the way for the OP), but there is only one campsite numbered. Per the rangers there is one campsite. They booted the other four tents out at ten pm.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
OntarioSkiBum

Hey guys,
We're coming in from the east (Niagara Falls area), and will be touring around the Newcomb Lake, Moose Pond, Santanoni area (if that matters). I don't foresee us having the energy to make it too far past the Blue Line border as it will be pretty late by then. We may just pull off and camp under the 150ft rule near a parking spot if a DEC isn't doable. I'm just not sure how motivated I'll be to hunt around for a good spot at 12am after a 4-5 hour drive.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
OntarioSkiBum

I forgot to add, I liked the peter griffin avatar. It inspired me to youtube that whole bird is the word clip. My 6 year old was singing it for days. Also- was the Les Claypool shot from Fish On?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
OntarioSkiBum

FYI- We ended up booking a hotel in Syracuse to cut down on the night driving. We ended up hanging out at the Fish Rock Lean to on Newcomb Lake, and weathered the storm with some shelter. Not knowing what was in store weather-wise, we only ventured as far as the Great Camp Santanoni, which was really cool. It would have been nice to make it to Moose Pond, and Santanoni, but that'll have to wait for another time.

The trail from Newcomb Lake Rd to Fish Rock wasn't much fun. Mud, mud, and more mud. It was worth it in the end though (I think).

I'll put up a couple pics when I get them off my phone.