Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Cedar River info request

I have a copy of Adirondack Canoe Waters South and West Flow, but it is a whitewater oriented tome and treats the Cedar like a family disgrace. Also, it's description of the Cedar (from Benton Rd access to the Hudson) is quite terse. And of course, I have all manner of maps, and other guidebooks (remember the fateful conversation I had with ER Wallace?), and access to Google Earth and Bing satellite images, but it's not enough.

I'm looking for some first hand information on that section of the Cedar.
I suppose it's no secret...I've been mumbling about a Cedar River-Rock River trip for years, time for me to put up or shut up!!

Our gang (we're not really a gang, gangs have initiations, colors, required felonies, that sort of stuff) is planning a trip for next year on the Cedar, Rock and Hudson. After seeing the confluence of the Rock and the Chain Drain, we're all pretty psyched. But, the balance of the gang being fast learners (as opposed to me and my stubborn misadventures), they want more information, if just to know how much to train!!

So, who among you have first hand knowledge that you're willing to sell? I could pay a handsome reward, or maybe just trade some info from an old man that thinks he's been around... We'll probably use a few thumper boats, rather than crush another stripper. And we plan to spend a night or two on the river, so the boats will have full gear.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

You may have seen these photos before, but I'll post them again here for this thread also...

This is what the Cedar River looks like about .5 mile from the confluence with the Hudson (photos taken 6/15/13):

The southern shoreline in that section did not look 'carry friendly' at all!

Last edited by Justin; 11-07-2013 at 03:04 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Justin,

I remember those photos...they confirmed that such a trip would be great fun. I could bounce off most of what I see in your photos, and the deeper stuff looks like a lot of fun. I long back saw the Cedar as far as Elm Island, and recently, MDB and I hiked in from the S, to the big bend, it looked fantastic.

As far as carry friendly on that section near the Hudson, if some of the wimps in my group need to carry, too bad, ha!! No, seriously, they can always line their way down the worst stuff, it's only about 1/2 mile of rough stuff.

I just looked up the flow rate for the dates around when you went there, Justin. June was very wet, nearly an all time record, remember? There was a mid month spike just a day or two before you hiked in there, and another spike near the end of the month. So the flows you saw were not typical for June, and will likely be higher than when we plan to go in July or August.

So far, everything looks pretty good. In fact, those sections in your photos might be pretty bony in a typical summer month.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

So it's been about a week, I suppose no one else can contribute any info...

Does this kind of trip even sound appealing to you fellow paddlers? It's about 14 miles of some fairly wild and undeveloped Adirondacks water and lands. Yeah, there's some class II and heavier stuff, and a lot of unknowns, but for me, that's the appeal.

I'm not looking to add to my gang, just curious is this is just not that appealing to the average guy (which I think I am)
Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
RichieC

Yep, this is a trip I have been looking at for a couple of years. Put-In at Benton Road or 28, parking is the only concern, with a take out somewhere below. Does not appear to be a kevlar or wood boat trip, but you seem to have more guts on this front than I! .. We have a fiberglass boat kept in reserve- figured we'd just take that... though the Bell Black Gold is a great handling boat for swinging into eddies etc. and is certainly tough enough. LOL From everything that I found on it- Class II is pushing it-more like class 1. Perhaps a tiny stretch. And on the whimpy side of Class 2 ...from what I was able to find written on it. I had decided on roll top bags etc. just in case! Barring a storm, wasn't concerned with the class of water.

The problem before was the obvious best take out at the Gooley take out at the Indian River/Hudson confluence. Before NY bought it, if you didn't want to trespass, you had to wonder about shooting the gorge and the class 3 and 4 waters... ( wasn't going to happen in open canoes!) or there is a take out just above the big water near Blue Ledges I found mentioned somewhere. Apparently it would be a steep climb, handing boat over head... up a "cliff" and then a 2 mile carry over to the North Woods Club Road... I had asked around about this- no one who had seen it thought it was a good idea.

Finally I had decided, if I could talk anybody into it, we'd just take out a Gooley anyways, wheel down the road and beg forgiveness...rather than permission. I don't generally feel comfortable at all doing that sort of thing- respecting private property, but...we would be leaving after all. LOL Now, of course, this is all moot!

So, this trip is on my near bucket list. Will post info when we do it! Perhaps on the back side of spring! Maybe I'll run into you again!

Last edited by RichieC; 12-11-2013 at 07:00 PM..
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Hanz

I don't have a lot of experience and near zero whitewater experience but I don't see anything in the posted photos that I view as something I wouldn't try in my Royalex canoe. The only way to learn is by doing. I think the Will Roger's quote comes into play here:

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment” Looks like a lot of experience can be earned on water like that.

I'm all for remote.

Portaging gear and a 60# canoe is tough but I suppose it's all part of the adventure.
Hanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
dchris7833

There are few reports of this trip out there. The American Whitewater site is blank on this stretch. I think this looks like a very enticing bit of water though. I have viewed the cedar from the confluence with the Hudson and it looks like a bit of a ride in that last stretch. Still, from the topo maps it does not appear to drop too steeply. As always, water level will be critical. Too little and it is a drag, literally. Too much and it would get downright dangerous. The images in that previously mentioned blogspot link are almost as sweat-producing as the narrative that goes along with it. When I was there the Hudson gauge at North Creek was about 4 feet, and the cedar looked like it had a nice amount of flow to it. I would say that between 3.5 and 4.5 on the NC gauge would be about right. If you need an extra paddler, get in touch. If I end up going up there I will post a request for paddlers here.

dave
dchris7833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
dchris7833

I just realized that the blog I mentioned was not in this thread. Here it is.

http://inthedrainage.blogspot.com/20...p-to-gate.html
dchris7833 is offline   Reply With Quote