Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
wildbrookies

Tornado Warning

Tornado Warning for Hamilton and Warren Counties ,hope everybody is hunkering down in a safe place!!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Tornado Warning for Hamilton and Warren Counties ,hope everybody is hunkering down in a safe place!!
The warning just blew past Oneida and western Herkimer Counties with about 2 inches of heavy mostly vertical rain, a brief spell of moderate wind, nothing spectacular. From the NWS radar red cell and tornado warning box that passed directly overhead I expected much lightning and excitement, but there was no lightning to be seen and only very rarely heard distant thunder.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Otis

It passed just west on us in Oneida and here was constant thunder at that point. Too far away for lightning. Not much damage, a few smaller trees down and a lot of small branches. Glad it died down as it moved on.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
wildbrookies

Good to hear!!

Thanks for the report!!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #5
PaPaZeus

I was in it at moffit beach near speculator.. Tenting.. It was like the movie twister.. Took down a full size tree right next to us. Almost crushed a camper. We left when my parents pop up started shaking and the lightning striking closely.

Scared the crap outta my toddlers and wife. Peoples belongings blowing all over. Tents rolling by.

Luckily my kelty Parthenon 8 stayed put. Even though I forgot the stakes and had to carve them lol.

Had an amazing lightning show on the mountains across the lake though. Must have been 20-30 strikes. ( we were on the very tip of the park jutting out into the lake)

Crazy crazy experience. Luckily noons was hurt.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
PaPaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
cityboy

According to Governor Cuomo "NYS does not get tornados". The recent rash of NYS twisters is a direct result of GW and is your fault. This trend is the new "normal".

By the way, I quickly found this site that shows that since 1952 NYS has had 411 Tornados statewide. That's an average of 7 per year.

Source: http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com...New_York/table

The violent weather you experienced was probably the result of mass hysteria much like bigfoot!
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
wxwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
According to Governor Cuomo "NYS does not get tornados". The recent rash of NYS twisters is a direct result of GW and is your fault. This trend is the new "normal".

By the way, I quickly found this site that shows that since 1952 NYS has had 411 Tornados statewide. That's an average of 7 per year.

Source: http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com...New_York/table

The violent weather you experienced was probably the result of mass hysteria much like bigfoot!
I'm pretty sure he could've seen the EF-3 that went through Duanesburg two months ago from his office in the Capitol building. He doesn't know what's going on half the time.
wxwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
jfbweatherman
The Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwing View Post
I'm pretty sure he could've seen the EF-3 that went through Duanesburg two months ago from his office in the Capitol building. He doesn't know what's going on half the time.
Well said wxwing.

The SPC (Storm Prediction Center) says from 1981-2010 NY had an average of 9 tornadoes per year. 1991-2010 10 per year. And 2001-2010 8 per year. See more here

This year we have had 9 confirmed tornadoes in NYS:

May 23rd:
EF-3 Duanesburg

June 18th:
EF-1 Verona

July 8th:
EF-1 Deerfield
EF-1 New London
EF-1 Lowville
EF-0 North Creek
EF-2 Smithfield (4 fatalities & 2nd deadliest ever in NYS)

July 13th:
EF-1 Reading
EF-1 Parksville

The most deadliest in NYS was an EF-1 on November 16th 1989 in Orange County. It caused a wall at East Coldenham Elementary School to collapse and killed 9 children.
jfbweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #9
cityboy

Who are you going to believe, the weatherman in chief/governor or SPC? Believe me its no mistake that Gov. Cuomo says what he says. He said the same thing about Hurricanes when Sandy hit. What I can't figure out is the motive. Is he just being politically correct and catering to his wealthy donors or is he salivating over a new income stream of a Carbon tax. Don't forget he has a bridge to build.

As for tornados I thought I read somewhere about one hitting NYS in the late 1800's that was pretty bad. We may not be in tornado alley but the fact remains that NYS does have them and they are nothing new.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
jfbweatherman
The Weatherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Who are you going to believe, the weatherman in chief/governor or SPC? Believe me its no mistake that Gov. Cuomo says what he says. He said the same thing about Hurricanes when Sandy hit. What I can't figure out is the motive. Is he just being politically correct and catering to his wealthy donors or is he salivating over a new income stream of a Carbon tax. Don't forget he has a bridge to build.

As for tornados I thought I read somewhere about one hitting NYS in the late 1800's that was pretty bad. We may not be in tornado alley but the fact remains that NYS does have them and they are nothing new.
I agree.

And to further dispute GW, the US as a whole is below average with tornadoes this year:

As for the 1800s tornado, I believe that the SPC started keeping track of tornadoes in 1950, so there may have been a more deadlier one before 1950.
jfbweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote