Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
12trysomething

Wakely Dam access

Anybody local to that area or been through there, know if River Rd is accessible to Wakely? Heading there in 1.5 weeks and am hoping to be able to drive all the way in.

Thanks.

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook
12trysomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Alpine1

This info was copied from another source.

Moose River Plains Wild Forest
The Limekiln Lake Gate and the Cedar River Gates are closed and the Limekiln Lake/Cedar River Road (aka Moose River Plains Road) is closed to motor vehicle traffic at this time. DEC plans to open the roads on May 23 once they have dried, firmed and any needed maintenance is completed unless conditions prevent the opening of the road. (5/8)
The Cedar River Road is closed at the snowplow turnaround, where the pavement ends 4 miles from the Cedar River Flow. The Town of Indian Lake asks that vehicles not drive past the barriers as it ruts up the road resulting in a longer closure period. (5/8)
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
bigwoods

You can find updated information on this under the NYS DEC website. Just search Southern Central Adirondack Trail Conditions within the DEC site. The section of road between the snowplow turn and wakely dam has a couple wash outs. The town will be bringing material in to fix these areas. With the deep ground frost this year the road is still too soft for heavy equipment. Hopefully it will be open soon.
bigwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
12trysomething

Wakely Dam access

Thanks for the info. If anybody that lives local has more knowledge please share.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:43 PM   #5
Tyler

I hiked past Wakely Dam on 5/6 and did see a truck parked next to Wakely Dam, however, the road is completely washed out from just west of the Wakely Mountain turn off. The truck must have had 4-wheel drive to make the last .2 miles to the dam.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
12trysomething

Wakely Dam access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I hiked past Wakely Dam on 5/6 and did see a truck parked next to Wakely Dam, however, the road is completely washed out from just west of the Wakely Mountain turn off. The truck must have had 4-wheel drive to make the last .2 miles to the dam.
Thanks for the specific details Tyler. As I have only been there once before, let me ask a couple of questions. We are starting back up on the NPT at Wakely this year (it is where we finished last year) so; 1) if we can't get all the way to the Dam to park like we did last year do you know where we could park and how far from the dam is it? 2) is there parking near the Wakely mountain trail head close to where the NPT re-route starts?

Thanks,

Rob

Old 05-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Tyler

I imagine you could park in the lot for the Wakely Fire Tower, which is only .2 miles away from Wakely Dam. The reroute begins .5 miles further up the road (back towards 28/30 intersection near Indian Lake). There is a sign there to indicate where the re-route begins on Cedar River Road.

I have not driven Cedar River Road, but I can say with certainty that the .2 miles between Wakely Dam and the Wakely Fire Tower Trail is completely washed out. I don't know about the previous 11 miles of road... I wouldn't recommend driving a vehicle through that .2 mile section, especially if more rain is in the forecast.

I think the re-routed trail is absolutely beautiful once you're along Metcalf Mountain and Blue Ridge. The first ~2 miles of truck trails (right off of Cedar River Road starting .7 miles from Wakely Dam) aren't that fun, though.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
12trysomething

Wakely Dam access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I imagine you could park in the lot for the Wakely Fire Tower, which is only .2 miles away from Wakely Dam. The reroute begins .5 miles further up the road (back towards 28/30 intersection near Indian Lake). There is a sign there to indicate where the re-route begins on Cedar River Road.

I have not driven Cedar River Road, but I can say with certainty that the .2 miles between Wakely Dam and the Wakely Fire Tower Trail is completely washed out. I don't know about the previous 11 miles of road... I wouldn't recommend driving a vehicle through that .2 mile section, especially if more rain is in the forecast.

I think the re-routed trail is absolutely beautiful once you're along Metcalf Mountain and Blue Ridge. The first ~2 miles of truck trails (right off of Cedar River Road starting .7 miles from Wakely Dam) aren't that fun, though.
Perfect, thanks for the information!

Old 05-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
12trysomething

Wakely Dam access

Does anyone know the location of the "snow plow turnaround" relative to the Wakely fire tower parking?

Old 05-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
BarbOrdell
Running Barefoot

As of Monday, 12 MAY 14

According to the Town of Indian Lake boys, the washout is so bad on Cedar River Road that they have been having trouble with their grater getting through. Sounds like they don't plan on having it repaired until sometime during the week starting 18 MAY. Until then I expect the road block will still be up at the snowmobile parking area as it is now. So technically, you can't even get into the Wakely Mt. parking area without risking a ticket. And the ranger will ticket you if you drive around the barricade.
BarbOrdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
12trysomething

Wakely Dam access

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbOrdell View Post
According to the Town of Indian Lake boys, the washout is so bad on Cedar River Road that they have been having trouble with their grater getting through. Sounds like they don't plan on having it repaired until sometime during the week starting 18 MAY. Until then I expect the road block will still be up at the snowmobile parking area as it is now. So technically, you can't even get into the Wakely Mt. parking area without risking a ticket. And the ranger will ticket you if you drive around the barricade.
Thanks Barb. Do you know how close to the Wakely Mtn parking area we can get that has parking?

Old 05-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #12
BarbOrdell
Running Barefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
Does anyone know the location of the "snow plow turnaround" relative to the Wakely fire tower parking?

Do you know how close to the Wakely Mtn parking area we can get that has parking?
The plow turnaround/snowmobile parking area is about 4 or 5 miles from Wakely Mt. parking area. That's where the barricade is as of today. But if you're going North on the NPT from Cedar River Rd, that's a little bit closer to the where the road is closed. Note, the snowmobile parking area is private land owned my Elba Brown who also lives on Cedar River Road. Not sure how she feels about people parking there. I would call the ranger who also lives on Cedar River road: Bruce Lomnitzer 518-648-5246. He may have some insights into whether or not it would be OK to drive as far as the Wakely Mt. parking area which is before the washout.
BarbOrdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #13
bigwoods

The town opened the Cedar River road to Wakely Dam this afternoon. Posted with a 6 ton weight limit.
bigwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #14
albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoods View Post
Posted with a 6 ton weight limit.
well guess he cant pack to heavy then
Old 05-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #15
12trysomething

Wakely Dam access

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoods View Post
The town opened the Cedar River road to Wakely Dam this afternoon. Posted with a 6 ton weight limit.
Excellent news. That's for sharing.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #16
CrisisBill

Moose River Plains Wild Forest
The Cedar River Road is open to motor vehicle traffic to the Cedar River Gate. (5/15)
The Limekiln Lake Gate and the Cedar River Gates are closed and the Limekiln Lake/Cedar River Road (aka Moose River Plains Road) remains closed to motor vehicle traffic at this time. DEC plans to open the roads on May 23 once they have dried, firmed and any needed maintenance is completed unless conditions prevent the opening of the road. (5/15)
CrisisBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #17
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Hopefully its ready in just a few weeks for the black fly Ride....
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #18
forest dweller

Any information on drive access to Wakely Dam in 2015? A new sidekick and I would like to paddle Cedar River Flow before next weekend if we can get in there.
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:13 AM   #19
forest dweller

Sorry, phone acting up, double post
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #20
Bark Eater Too

There's a report in trip reports of a couple that did Wakely on 5/5. The barricades were still up at the end of the pavement, but the town maintenance guy told them to go ahead and drive up anyway. They reported the road being in good shape. No guarantees but I bet it is open by now. You could always call the local NYSDEC or Indian Lake town office to confirm.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote