Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
PaPaZeus

Question this weekends weather...thoughts? cancel?

set for chub pond this weekend.... headed in early sat morn. leaving sun morn...

weather has rain and afternoon possible thuderstorms...

we are all hammocking with tarps etc.....

should we cancel?

ive been in the rain enough. but the tstorms worry me a bit.

what say the commune?
PaPaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

I've been in some pretty nasty thunderstorms while camping in the Adks during my time, never once was I sorry that I didn't stay home instead....just sayin'. Best of luck if you choose to go!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
PaPaZeus

We were out in bad one our first trip last season to gull....

we have to plan these a month in advance so its hard to reschedule.

im leaning towards still going since the storm is supposed to occur in the afternoon
Old 05-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
Wldrns

Stay away from the tallest trees, set up a tarp tied down well, and enjoy the rainfall. It is all part of the Adirondack experience.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

I know some people who won't go to the Adirondacks because of rain... I mean they just stopped going because of it!

My experience has been to use the weather forecast as a rough guide and pack appropriately. 9 times out 10 the weather is better than I expect, and more than half of the time it's downright amazing. I've also seen amazing things and had some of the best times in rainy weather.

It's 10% being prepared, 90% attitude.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Stay away from the tallest trees, set up a tarp tied down well, and enjoy the rainfall. It is all part of the Adirondack experience.
Decent advice. Your worst day in the Dacks is still better than your best day at work. Addacks are difficult to forecast accurately.

"It's 10% being prepared, 90% attitude."
Old 05-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
PaPaZeus

thanks for the replys all.....

all fit right within my realm of thought...

now to see if my friends feel the same...

we did gull in a deluge that lasted 4 hours with lightning. this has a lower chance of thunder i believe.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #8
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Chub will be more exposed to the prevailing winds.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #9
PaPaZeus

Forgive my ignorance..... The downside of the prevailing wind being wind blown rain coming in . and since it will come across the lake to the northern leanto we would there by catch more wind and rain correct?

We are actually considering camping on the western shore with the large hill to our back to circumvent this.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #10
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I don't have any hammocking experience but I have been out in a number of thunderstorms in my tent with no ill effects yet. Also in a lean to a couple of times. There is a greater probability of a tree falling on you during a high wind but it is still statistically pretty unlikely that a tree would happen to fall on the exact spot where you are during the one night that you happen to be there. I have had some pleasant times hiking, biking and canoeing in the rain, including downpours and thunderstorms. As long as I can keep my sleeping bag and inside of my tent dry I don't mind getting wet in the summer. The smells are intensified during heavy rain, at least that is how it seems to my uneducated nose. I hope that you'll have a good weekend whatever you all decide to do.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
PaPaZeus

Enroute. Thanks all
Old 05-31-2015, 07:44 PM   #12
PaPaZeus

Well we caught the outskirts of one storm. And took the other on the nose... Bad/good lightning for quite a few hours... And heavy downpour...

Bailed from hammocks to leanto as there were many dead branches above everywhere we went...

Rain held off this am till we hit the trail.

Avoiding forecasted thunderstorms in the future if possible... But not the rain.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaZeus View Post
Well we caught the outskirts of one storm. And took the other on the nose... Bad/good lightning for quite a few hours... And heavy downpour...

Bailed from hammocks to leanto as there were many dead branches above everywhere we went...

Rain held off this am till we hit the trail.

Avoiding forecasted thunderstorms in the future if possible... But not the rain.
So are you sorry that you went camping instead of staying home?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:17 PM   #14
PaPaZeus

Lol. Never.. Had good weather till about 5.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:36 PM   #15
TCD

Boy, it sucks right now, though!

42F and pouring rain here in Keene. I am actually very glad to be in my house, and not camping, tonight!

TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #16
RichieC

Everybody always asks... "What do you do if it rains?" I always answer the same thing "We have a good time". I'm never wet or cold.

I would pack another tarp, extra ropes. Some of my most fun trips have been spent under a tarp with a cup of something to keep us warm and a steady stream of stuff off the grill not on the pack list- but always seems to make the trip... I might try to include a lean-to as a contingency destination too.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote