Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
ceebsonline

Avoiding slop on the way to Fish Pond

I don't know about you guys, but it's getting to that time of year when I start dreaming about getting back in the ol' boat. I'm thinking of revisiting Fish Pond and beyond this year, but I'm seeking some help. Three or four years ago I base camped on St. Regis Pond and took a day trip to Lydia by paddling to Ochre, then portaging and paddling through Mud, Fish, Little Fish, and Little Long. It was a beautiful trip, but somewhere between Ochre and Fish, I hit a nasty boggy section that had me up to my knees in mud.
When I went back last fall, I decided to base camp at Fish Pond. I one-trip my portages and the idea of trying to carry a boat and gear through all that slop didn't excite me, so I opted to take the fire road from St. Regis Pond straight through to Fish. Although it was a much easier route, it felt more like a highway, lacking some of the terrain and scenery that I prefer.
My question is, can I get the best of both worlds? My (vague) recollection is that I dropped down into the mud pits just before reaching Mud Pond. Call me crazy but the name of the pond seems to back me up. Would it be possible to portage or paddle to Ochre, and then skip the slop by bypassing Mud Pond? Based on the maps it looks like you might be able to stay high and dry this way, but I thought I'd seek some first hand info. Thanks!
ceebsonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Swamp Booger

Your recollection is correct, as the mud pits are just before putting into Mud Pond. Rather than turning right and going down the hill to Mud Pond, keep going straight along the esker and you will bypass Mud Pond and reach a point on Fish Pond where you can put in.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
ceebsonline

Thank ya!
ceebsonline is offline   Reply With Quote