Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
T46pks
46 - #6461/28W/15FT/NPT

Epic Adventures Part 1

Having quit my job in advance of moving out to Colorado, I have returned to the ADKS and the northeast to have an all out epic summer outdoor experience. Now while this ďepicĒ does not mean, extended camping trips, or killer day hikes, it is more used to describe an almost non-stop chain of different trips.

Friday:
It started Friday morning at 4:30 when I departed my home in DC and headed up to meet my girlfriend in the Adirondacks. Within 15 minutes of my arrival our friend showed up with three Kayaks, and we headed up to Speculator to paddle the Kungjumuck (forgive me if I spelled that wrong). We paddled up the river (flat but a little swollen and moving swiftly) up past the cave, and into Elm Lake. We then paddled back the way we came. From there we stopped off for a quick dinner and drove down to Piseco, to climb Panther mountain and watch the fireworks. The summit was rather crowded so we bushwacked a 100 down and found a nice open ledge that our group had all to ourselves!

Saturday:
We got up around 8am and drove north to pound out a couple of remote fire towers: St. Regis and Azure. We started up the trail to St. Regis about noon after about a 3 hour drive. A very nice hike, with soft underfoot trail up until it gets steep near the top where it becomes kind of chunky and bouldery. On the way down we noticed a tree down over the trail, and started to worry that we were not on the right trail, but after inspecting the tree and realizing that we were on the right trail, we decided that the tree had fallen sometime while we were past it on the trail (YIKES!). From St. Regis we followed Keese Road which becomes a dirt road for a seemingly endless period of time, and met up with another friend to climb Azure. Very nice climb and a beautiful summit (Very Remote looking out over the flatter terrain below).

Sunday:
Sunday though very tired, we got up and trudged up-to Indian Lake to climb Wakely Mountain. Again a pretty uneventful climb, drew some pictures in the sandy parking lot, met a few people on the way up. Very nice cabin on the summit and a very very tall fire tower, which kind of sketched me out without any of the mesh wire over the sides. Buggy.

Monday: Monday we headed west along 90 to Little Falls to do some rock climbing on Moss Island. I only include this part because I met a group there that let me borrow a nut tool to help pluck out a stuck stopper, and I think they left before I got a chance to get it back to them. Someone in the group said they climbed a lot in Keene so maybe they read this forum? Anyway if you were in that group and are missing a nut tool, send me a PM and Iíll see if I canít get it back to you!

More adventures to come in the next week!
Pictures soon.
T46pks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
jan

The last time I paddled the Kunjamack there were more than a dozen beaver dams (I lost count at about 12). You didn't mention having to get over, around, or through any. Is the river open all the way to Elm Lake or are you forgetting the tough stuff.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
T46pks
46 - #6461/28W/15FT/NPT

There were a few dams, the river was somewhat high, so we were able to muscle over all of them, not need to portage or anything, at least not on Friday.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
jan

Great thanks. Sounds like I need to get back there before the water level drops.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

We caught a few glimpses of the Piseco fireworks on friday - how was the show?

We did catch the entire show up in Speculator on saturday night.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
T46pks
46 - #6461/28W/15FT/NPT

Sorry...these are a bit delayed, we have been quite busy this past few weeks.

Sp_nyp, to answer you question the show was pretty good, we had a nice vantage point from Panther Mt. What was even more fun were the mortars being launched by some folks from the summit!

Anyway here are the pictures!

http://picasaweb.google.com/11steph....OfJulyWeekend#