Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
rachelsdad

Big Agnes Scout UL

The beauty of the web is that you can remain totally anonymous....and ask the stupid questions you would never dare ask your "friends".

So I ordered the Big Agnes Scout UL from Steep and Cheap a few weeks ago. Seems the perfect combo for a frustrated guy like me who has always wanted to tarp but as we all know, it is not really fun in June in the Adirondacks..

Specs: Under 2 lbs, sleeps two...huge...use your trekking poles instead of tent poles.. basically a tarp w/bathtub floor and mesh...what more could an old fart with 57 yr old knees want???

So I tell my frequent partner, (a Hammock guy)...and he says...great....but what do you do after we set up for the weekend and want to do a long day hike/climb and you need your trekking poles....

Hmmmmmmmm .

Any bright ideas before I admit defeat and send it back??

i don't think taking it down is really the answer I'm looking for.
rachelsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

You could get a second set of poles(sorry to be Captain Obvious) but I don't know how much they would weigh. It seems to me that they could maybe still be lighter than traditional tent poles and on trips where you don't plan any day hikes that need poles you could leave them at home. Or you could camp under a tree and tie a string from the top of the tent to a convenient branch while you take out the poles. Or you could find some handy dead sticks near your campsite to use in place of poles during the day. I have heard of people doing that when they lost or broke a pole on a trip. Another possibility is that if you day hike very fast you might be able to remove the poles and still get them back in before the tent falls, but that would be the most challenging option, I think.
Zach
Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
rachelsdad

"Another possibility is that if you day hike very fast you might be able to remove the poles and still get them back in before the tent falls, but that would be the most challenging option, I think"

I like it.

My big attraction to the tent was the fact that I can use a 45 ltr pack since there are no ungainly tent poles to stick in or on.....

Not an issue w/the 60-70 ltr packs I normally haul but Ive got enough of my gear, (alky stove, light bag, etc) down to the point where I could get by w/the 45.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
chrs

A few companies sell tarp poles to use in place of trekking poles. Try sixmoon designs and gossamer gear. I use he gossamer gear ones for my tarp and they are light and pack small.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
chrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
rachelsdad

Thanks chrs,

I spoke to some people at BA and they do in fact sell poles for that tent...I am going to think about trying to rig some lightweight alternatives...as in < $50
Old 02-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
FlyFishingandBeer
Hikes for Tacos

There's another company out there called Hike Light that sells UL poles specifically for people who have made the same mistake (just kidding. Same CHOICE) as you. I was actually looking at this tent until it dawned on me that I wouldn't be able to use it for a base camp while hiking with my poles. I ended up going with a BA Triangle Mountain UL2. Not the lightest on the market at 35oz (actual trail weight), but probably one of the roomiest. Its also small enough to pack inside my 50L Osprey Atmos along with a few days worth of gear without being a nuisance.

Something else to consider, and this is going to 100% come down to price point is the Hyperlight Mountain Gear's Echo II system. Same principle as your BA Scout, but its a true double-wall shelter and weighs in at a dainty 1.87lbs. Being double-walled gives it the ability to not only breath better and keep you drier, but if you really want to go light, you can just pack the rain fly for a ~9oz total payload. A good friend of mine used this shelter for his A/T thru hike and swears by it. It isn't cheap though...

Edit: Try these guys too if you're still exploring other options... https://www.tarptent.com/index.html
FlyFishingandBeer is offline   Reply With Quote