Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 05:46 PM   #1
forest dweller

Anybody know what a "driving in the forest preserve" ticket fine is?

Anybody know what a "driving in the forest preserve" ticket fine is?

My wife and I camped a single night at the campsite near the Hudson River near the Essex Chain Lakes...the campsite was a few hundred yards from the gate I should have parked before...it was easy to drive around the gate and it was a ROAD beyond. I did not want to make multiple trips to the car if I forgot something...so I DROVE to the campsite ON A ROAD! Anyhow, someone ratted us out and we were greeted by a pleasant forest ranger who felt that he needed to give me a ticket. On the one hand I'd like to make my case in court in Newcomb, making it clear that there was a road there and that I did no harm (left no trace) driving to the campsite...and I'd like to try to have the ticket reduced or thrown out...on the other hand I live between 4 and 5 hours away from Newcomb and it would be very inconvenient to go there if I had no need or desire to go there...if the fine is reasonable I'd just pay it, because "technically" I'm guilty. The ranger and I talked for an hour about the Adirondacks - he seemed to like me but I guess being called out there he had to do what he had to do...he CLAIMS that it would be "less than a parking ticket" with an administration cost perhaps. Anybody know? I need to send in this ticket with a plea.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Aren’t you the same person who complained about people being allowed to drive Gulf Brook Road to Boreas Ponds?

Last edited by Justin; 09-15-2020 at 06:24 PM..
Old 09-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
Tabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Arenít you the same person who complained about people being allowed to drive Gulf Pond Road to Boreas Ponds?
Haha! But I'm only guilty technically.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
forest dweller

Quote:
Arenít you the same person who complained about people being allowed to drive Gulf Brook Road to Boreas Ponds?
I wanted that to become entirely wilderness...as long as they are making a mockery of it, having perfectly good roads, not calling it wilderness, making you stop 300 yards before a designated campsite...not quite backpacking, not quite car camping...I decided to take a chance and drive to where I camped. Enjoy the reply, I'm not going to let you suck me in and get a rise out of me...since you are the "suck me in and get a rise out of me" guy.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

Plea guilty - you are.

Don't be the person who thinks the rules apply to everyone but them. Not all forest roads are meant for driving. Go drive the Fish Pond TT (which is still driveable and used by rangers) and see if you're "technically" guilty.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
forest dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Plea guilty - you are.

Don't be the person who thinks the rules apply to everyone but them. Not all forest roads are meant for driving. Go drive the Fish Pond TT (which is still driveable and used by rangers) and see if you're "technically" guilty.
I may do that...the fine might factor in...staying on topic anybody know what that might be?
Old 09-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post
I wanted that to become entirely wilderness...as long as they are making a mockery of it, having perfectly good roads, not calling it wilderness, making you stop 300 yards before a designated campsite...not quite backpacking, not quite car camping...I decided to take a chance and drive to where I camped. Enjoy the reply, I'm not going to let you suck me in and get a rise out of me...since you are the "suck me in and get a rise out of me" guy.
Tim I’m definitely not sucking anything on you. You know well enough if a road is gated & locked that you can’t drive it. You got busted and sounds like the ranger who gave you a ticket was straight forward with you, and it seems like you’re trying to make excuses that it was ok. I think you should just “suck” it up and pay the fine whatever it is and hopefully you will learn from your mistake. Bummer you made that decision, maybe next time bring a cart. Best regards bro.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
forest dweller

Quote:
Plea guilty - you are.

Besides that, those gates linger from Finch and Pruyn...I did no harm driving that road a few hundred yards to the campsite. Maybe they should move the gate to near the campsite...making it more like Moose Plains or something OR close down the entire road all the way back (8 / 10 miles) and make it an impressive wilderness if and when the roads and everything grow in.

Oh, and remove those ugly Finch Pruyn gates except for the one at the Goodnow Flow Road or whatever that intersection is called.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:01 PM   #9
forest dweller

Quote:
Tim Iím definitely not sucking anything on you. You know well enough if a road is gated & locked that you canít drive it. You got busted and sounds like the ranger who gave you a ticket was straight forward with you, and it seems like youíre trying to make excuses that it was ok. Suck it up and pay the fine whatever it is and hopefully you will learn from your mistake. Bummer you made that decision, maybe next time bring a cart. Best regards bro.
Well, I saw a gray area - wasn't going to harm anything, wasn't going far, but far enough to not go "aw **** I forgot my headlamp" and dread the walk back. As I said, "technically" I was in the wrong...but it was one of those "victimless crimes"!
Old 09-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #10
montcalm
Mobster

There is no grey area here. You broke the law and were caught. Go talk to an attorney if you need legal advice.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #11
backwoodsman

I hope you get the chair .
Old 09-15-2020, 07:18 PM   #12
montcalm
Mobster

LOL

I have feeling this thread may get locked or deleted.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:01 PM   #13
forest dweller

Quote:
There is no grey area here. You broke the law and were caught. Go talk to an attorney if you need legal advice.
Ah man, just when I thought you were among the brighter ones having the best take on the Whitney property that is coming available!
Old 09-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #14
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Ah man, just when I thought you were among the brighter ones having the best take on the Whitney property that is coming available!
No need to insult me. I'm just trying to save you some trips to the courthouse for which the end result will be the same.

If you go to a bench trial you will be found guilty. Your explanation is not a grey area and the law is pretty clear on these things. Feel free to post the exact statute which you violated, or look it up yourself and read the wording. This is how the judge will view the case. There will be no consideration for the reason you crossed the gate, only that you did.

I 100% agree with Justin - just send in the ticket, pay the fine and don't do it again. There's a reason that gate is there, and if the state decides to move it or the campsite, then it will be in your favor. If you don't like the configuration write a comment to the DEC calling attention the UMP this affects and maybe when it comes up for revision they might recall your comment, but only likely if if there are many others.

Last edited by montcalm; 09-15-2020 at 09:38 PM..
Old 09-15-2020, 09:25 PM   #15
Woodly

93.00 dollars likely is the court fee without an additional fine.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:59 PM   #16
TrailBlaser

Just out of curiosity, how far from the gate to the campsite?
Old 09-15-2020, 10:20 PM   #17
forest dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlaser View Post
Just out of curiosity, how far from the gate to the campsite?
Too far for car camping, too close for backpacking...if that makes any sense. A football field or two.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #18
forest dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
93.00 dollars likely is the court fee without an additional fine.
The ranger said it was "less than a parking ticket"...I don't know if he just said that or if he knew it to be true.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:24 PM   #19
forest dweller

Quote:
Feel free to post the exact statute which you violated, or look it up yourself and read the wording
The writing is too faded on the ticket, it's illegible. My wife read it to me on the day it happened - don't know the code, she said it said "driving on forest preserve".
Old 09-15-2020, 11:02 PM   #20
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Making you stop 300’ yards before a designated campsite...

Too far for car camping, too close for backpacking...if that makes any sense. A football field or two.
Maybe next time try one of these, which you can purchase from most any Home Depot, Lowe’s, or just about any other home & garden center (for probably not much more than your fine)...

Here’s a link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Muscle-R...4824/202756891

The sides are also removable, which can also be very helpful if you happen to be hauling lots of gear... If my sister can handle it I’m sure you might be able to also, or maybe not.

Last edited by Justin; 09-15-2020 at 11:46 PM..
Closed Thread