Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #21
MikeT

Check it out!

Recently developed 50 mile hiking trail that circumnavigates Cranberry lake http://cranberrylake50.org/

This trail should open up endless paddle/hike and hike/paddle options for those whose knees are not yet too "tired" - unfortunately that does not include me.

My understanding is that the Cranberry Lake 50 will "offically open" June 6/7 2009, during the ADK National Trails Day celebration.

Cranberry Lake: the perfect place to hike and paddle.
http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=8262

A great area for outdoor recreation just got even better.

Mike
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #22
saveatree,eatabeaver

Only 14 people have completed the loop (including Bob Marshall, and thats iffy). Still plenty of time to be one of the first!!!
No better time for hiking than during the fall

Support your local forest ranger, get lost.

I think that they should host a survivor in the Adirondacks. Both teams get a over under rifle shotgun, box of matches, and a petersons edible plants field guide.
saveatree,eatabeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:29 PM   #23
MikeT

Mr. chairrock,

If I read the Cranberry 50 website trail completion section correctly, congrats are in order for Mark L.

I'm an old fart that just paddles along in his kayak, and wonders where his knees' get up and go, got up and went . Did not to mean to imply by my post that I have completed Cranberry 50; sorry for any confusion.

Sounds like you're well on the way to completing the Cranberry 50 - good luck!

Been in contact with 5 Ponds Partners, and I understand they are planning a paddling project once the trail project is completed. Alot of people have ceretainly put in alot of work on the Cranberry 50.

MikeT
Old 08-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #24
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Hope it's not a southerly "paddling project" from Cranberry. Be a shame to see an increase of existing canoe thru-traffic in that direction IMHO.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --

Last edited by pondhopper; 09-01-2008 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: wordage
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #25
MikeT

pondhopper,

I agree with you about not increasing canoe thru-traffic to the south.

Personally I would like to see Cranberry Lake itself promoted more as a paddling destination as it has the size and infrastructure (i.e. campsites, put-ins, etc.) to accommodate the potentially increased people traffic.

With the Cranberry Lake 50 coming on line, seems a natural to promote hike/paddle and paddle/hike activities in the Cranberry Lake area itself.

My 2 cents.

MikeT
Old 09-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #26
BushwhackingFirestar

I just recently completed the 50. Looks like I'll be number 17. Funny before I left there were only 12 people who completed loop, get back to town four days later and number went up.
I put in at Eastern rt.3 trialhead. Hit the trail at 3:00 pm on the 9/2. came around full circle to car at 4:30 pm on 9/4. Had a great time others should try.
The trail is a bit over grown. As Mike L comented expect to get wet feet on trip. I wore some cheap trail shoes so I could at least have dry feet in afternoon when trail dryed out. Nothing like pushing threw waist high grass and brush at 6:30 in the morning for miles and miles. A fair share of blowdown was encountered, and much of the High falls trail from high falls to Wanakena is flooding over from beaver activity. Also there were around a dozen trail markers in that section. 8 + miles. Also there was a lack of any genral trail maintenance(looping, string trimmer,etc.) The south bay trail had some decent work done , but I think the DEC's trail crews efforts were put towards lean-to's and a few bridges.
Saw a few critters and some huge bear tracks in a mud puddle early wensday morning(3rd). Lots of interesting history to the area. Lots of scrap metal$$$.
The weather was perfect.
I stayed at curtis pond the first night, but I would reccomend dog pond, as there was little room to pitch a small solo tent at curtis. I took side trips to Cowhorn pond for luch, a swim , and a chance to dry out my shoes. I summited Cat Mtn early in the afternoon for some awsome views, and rolled into High falls around 5:00 pm. I was looking to stay there but the spur trail was heavily overgrown, and thought in 30 seconds of walking in morning I would be soaked so I pushed on to High rock and bivyed there. Good choice because its wet between there. from there its was easy hiking to Wanakena and past the Ranger school, onto the Peavine trail and back to road.

I would like to know who actually thru hiked the complete trail. I noted that Jamie Savage and Mark Lowell were the only hikers(and myself) to sign in at all four of the DEC trail registers and they also indicated they were hiking the 50. The only other register entry was by the three women who hiked trail in may, but they only signed Wanakena register and never even bothered to check off the checked out box. There were no entries at Cowhorn pond lean-to(I left one) and no register at High Falls.I also question if section hikers will hike road portion, or did?

I had a great time.Cant wait to Hike it again next year, only this time Counterclockwise and maybe stay at lean-to's.

Bushwhacking Firestarter
BushwhackingFirestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #27
BushwhackingFirestar

Chairrock, you were the other soul out on trail that day. I noticed entry, "OSS loop "you wrote I believe. I only ran into one person on trail on whole trip. I gentleman named Bob who had canoed up to Hgh falls.If you have been doing trail there and back you should get two patches and consecutive completion numbers

I won't lie I skipped the OSS loop.(Shame on me if you all must) Its a suggested route, and I figures the 4 miles of extra hiking on Spur trails would cover the lost 3.2 miles. I took a couple spurs to shore of Cranberry lake, Into cowhorn pond, Summited cat w/ full pack, High falls, Rock, and a couple other short side trips to check out interesting features. I really wanted to make sure I got up Cat Mtn. with enough time that day. I'd like to hike OSS loop next time around with a stay at lean-to.

I was thinking that the road section might as well not count if you can bike or drive section. I guess I was hoping to see more people talking about the 50 at registers. I am going to make a comment to 50 organizers to add a section to list, indicating section/or thru hike. The FLT has done this in past, when listing trail completers.

Bushwhacking Firestarter
Old 09-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #28
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

author

I happened to be camping on Dead Creek Flow (Cranberry Lake) last weekend. When I stopped at the store in Wanakena, I was approached by a lady who told me about the CL50 and gave me a brochure about it. I spoke briefly to her and met her friend (husband?) - they wrote the article that appeared in the Adirondac magazine that I had received a few days before. They had two beautiful hand made canoes on their vehicle - small and very lightweight boats. I managed to get site 32 (actually, there were no other paddlers in sight), a beautiful peninsula where I spent a great weekend several years ago with my old Yellow Lab. Good memories (and lots of Pine sap!).

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W

Last edited by ALGonquin Bob; 09-09-2008 at 11:45 PM..
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #29
ALGonquin Bob

Regarding Cranberry Lake as a paddling destination - It's certainly beautiful, but the power boat traffic really detracts from the experience. Fishing boats visited my site's "private" cove several times on the weekend, and many more blew past the site. The flashing lights on the navigation buoys were a bit of a distraction on an otherwise dark night as well. The easy accessibility to power boats also results in more trash on the sites. I spent the entire weekend picking up cig butts and other bits of litter, and carried out 2 broken chairs. I had to leave the rusty and burned aluminum table on site. Having paddled and camped on many Adirondack lakes, I might not return to this one.

46er #5357W
Old 09-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #30
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Well done!
Cat Mt is always worth the trip, seems you can see forever and not see any signs of humans,not bad for not being a High Peak.
It helps the long-distance visibility a lot when there aren't all those big mountains blocking the view.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #31
aft paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwhackingFirestar View Post
Chairrock, you were the other soul out on trail that day. I noticed entry, "OSS loop "you wrote I believe. Bushwhacking Firestarter
Bushwack......I enjoyed chatting with you at the falls--hope the picture came out well. You and Chairrock werenít the only ones on the loop. On the way up Wednesday I also saw [with a quick greeting] a party of four on the trail along the river at the foot of Ross Rapids between High Rock and High Falls. I didnít spot any canoes or kayaks although they may have stashed them. That evening two guys camped at the falls canoeing [and huffing and puffing on the portage with what looked to be a normal weight royalex Bell] their way from Lows. They left shortly after I did in the morning leaving everything open for the weekend. I met two parties canoeing up while on the way out.

Bob
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #32
BushwhackingFirestar

Bob, your on the Forum, cool. Thanks again for taken my pic, Maybe I'll see you out there again somtime. You were only human I saw on hole trip, well untill I got to Wanakena.

I would reccommend to anyone heading up to do 50 to check out Wanakena first. There was a info/pavilion in town square that had some brochures about 50 and exploring the local area by water or foot.

I'll try to get some photos up somwere. Took over 100 pics and almost 30 minutes of video. If enough people have good video , perhaps a documentary of 50 and surrounding area could be made.

I have only done a couple canoe trips, but after seeing what Crannberry has to offer(I liked it better then Long Lake)I might have to hit the water. The number of campsites in area kind of blew me away.

Bushwhacking Firestarter
Old 09-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #33
Bill I.

Quote:
Doing the High Falls Loop tomorow with wife and 2 dogs,hope to spend the night near the falls. Are there many tent sites in the area, say a mile or so on either side of the falls?
Quote:
Well further research on my part has shown that there are a few sites on the river that are numbered, but are they noticiably accessable from the truck trail? Gunna have to keep an eye open I guess...unless anyone has a clue here? Wildriver?
If only I was there with you, I could point out all the sites...

The campsites at High Rock and Ross Rapids (#28) are easily accessible from the trail, and especially #28 because it is literally beside the trail. If you take the Five Ponds Trail as far as the bridge over the river, you'll find three sites clustered together.

There are also three tent sites at High Falls: One is in the bushes above the falls, not far from the eastern lean-to. One is located on the carry trail (watch where you set up your tent in case any night hikers come through!). The third (#17 I think) is harder to spot, but just before the trail ends at High Falls there is a rough path that leads right through the brush to the river. I don't think there are any signs or markers from the trail.

The clearing at the foot of the canoe carry has an attractive view but is closed for regeneration.

On the east side of the loop, the only established sites are at Glasby Pond and Dead Creek Flow.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #34
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

this looks like a wonderful time..by the looks its only 2days by foor 1 by horse..lol accroding to bushwhacker firestarter... 3 days would be great to enjoy it..
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #35
Buster Bear
Trail Bum

It's CL50 time!

Well, the time has come. I will be hitting the CL50 tomorrow morning around 7AM. Leaving tonight after dinner to arrive at the trailhead around 10PM. I will either sleep in my car or find a convenient spot to set up my tarp for the early start.

I've decided to start (clockwise) at the Peavine Swamp trailhead and tackle the 6 mile road walk right off the bat. I will wear comfortable walking shoes and stash them at the Burntbridge Pond trailhead where I'll switch to proper trail shoes. Still hate road walking and I will hopefully be able to hitch a ride.

I'd like to thank everyone on this thread for the invaluable info and will attempt to do my part by posting a trail report upon my return.
CL50 #49
Buster Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #36
mwanner
ViewAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALGonquin View Post
Regarding Cranberry Lake as a paddling destination - It's certainly beautiful, but the power boat traffic really detracts from the experience. Fishing boats visited my site's "private" cove several times on the weekend, and many more blew past the site. The flashing lights on the navigation buoys were a bit of a distraction on an otherwise dark night as well. The easy accessibility to power boats also results in more trash on the sites. I spent the entire weekend picking up cig butts and other bits of litter, and carried out 2 broken chairs. I had to leave the rusty and burned aluminum table on site. Having paddled and camped on many Adirondack lakes, I might not return to this one.
We spent three days at site 30 in Black Duck Hole, 9/2 - 9/4, and had much the same impression-- beautiful place, few other paddlers, too many motorboats, & too much trash. Actually, our site didn't have that much litter, but it had two large, ugly table-like structures built from heavy scrap plywood, 2x4s, etc. We disassembled one, but the other had been built using sheetrock screws. It marred an otherwise beautiful site. Keep out the powerboats, & its a sure thing you won't see stuff like that left behind. We checked out a lot of the other sites on the Dead Creek Flow and saw all sorts of abandoned hardware. What's so hard about carry in, carry out?

A few more here
The Adirondack Wilderness ... is a vast natural park, one immense and silent forest, curiously and beautifully broken by the gleaming waters of a myriad of lakes, between which rugged mountain ranges rise as a sea of granite billows. -- Verplanck Colvin
mwanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #37
MikeT

Very nice pictures.

What brand and model of were you using?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #38
ALGonquin Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Very nice pictures.

What brand and model of were you using?
Those are very nice photos, with a pleasing composition and a warm quality. PET PEEVE ALERT! - I prefer to complement the photographer - the camera is merely a tool, and a good photographer can make good images with almost any camera, regardless of price and megapixels.

46er #5357W
Old 09-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #39
mwanner
ViewAddict

Thanks for the kind words! The camera is a Cannon S5IS, 12x zoom with stabilization, which helps a lot with wildlife shots. Takes decent shots for the size and price, but it falls well short of a DSLR (in size, price, and image quality).
The Adirondack Wilderness ... is a vast natural park, one immense and silent forest, curiously and beautifully broken by the gleaming waters of a myriad of lakes, between which rugged mountain ranges rise as a sea of granite billows. -- Verplanck Colvin
Old 09-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #40
mwanner
ViewAddict

Quote:
I find the above mentioned quotes offending and too broadly applied. While there are bad apples in every user group it is not necessary nor I feel productive to apply such negative connotations to all motor-boaters. If you see a problem, fix it, don't assume one particular group is responsible.
Our family is involved in all aspects of boating;canoe,power and sail.When we find trash at a site,whether on the lake or at one of the backcountry LTs we haul it out.I wonder what user groups left all the trash I have hauled out of LTs this summer?
I apologize for any implication that all motorboat operators leave trash behind. Nevertheless, I think it is fair to assume that canoe campers are far less likely to haul in 2x4s and large sheets of plywood, lawn chairs, barbeque grills-- the sort of stuff I saw left in sites on the Dead Creek Flow a couple of weeks back. Nor is a canoe camper as likely to be toting a power drill which was clearly used to assemble the camp furnishings left at our site.

Besides, the shores of the Dead Creek Flow are classified as wilderness. To my mind, that suggests that power boats should be kept out. A canoe or kayak can paddle by your campsite and you'll never know it, but a motorboat, unless it's running on a trolling motor, will let you know it's there from a mile or more away.

But to your point-- sure, there are messy, carry-it-in-and-leave-it canoe campers too. For that matter, I've run into a few real loud folks in canoes.