Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2021, 11:19 AM   #21
Wldrns

be sure you have a good pair of long needle nose pliers. And don't lift the fish with your fingers by the lower jaw as is typically done with bass.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:43 PM   #22
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
Amen to that....Pike, pickerel, muskie...if you want to catch these buggers use a leader and watch your hands. If they get you, you will know it. There will be blood (your blood) everywhere.
I've heard divers say that if you ever saw the size of the northern pike in Lake George people wouldn't to skinny dipping there!
Old 08-04-2021, 11:30 AM   #23
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I've heard divers say that if you ever saw the size of the northern pike in Lake George people wouldn't to skinny dipping there!
I saw one which was landlocked in a pool beneath a dam that ate everything that came over the dam. This monster had to be nearly six feet long with jaws like a tiger. It was bigger than some Muskies I have seen. It was waiting for its next meal.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #24
JimVroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
I saw one which was landlocked in a pool beneath a dam that ate everything that came over the dam. This monster had to be nearly six feet long with jaws like a tiger. It was bigger than some Muskies I have seen. It was waiting for its next meal.
JimVroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #25
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVroman View Post
Pike and muskies have gripping teeth, not cutting teeth.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:05 AM   #26
St.Regis

Technically, pike and their toothy relatives do have gripping teeth. Unlike some fish like sharks and piranhas that remove hunks of flesh, pike typically bite, hold, kill, then swallow their prey whole. However, they do have many sharp teeth that will easily cut lines and the fingers and hands of people that are not careful
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #27
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
Technically, pike and their toothy relatives do have gripping teeth. Unlike some fish like sharks and piranhas that remove hunks of flesh, pike typically bite, hold, kill, then swallow their prey whole. However, they do have many sharp teeth that will easily cut lines and the fingers and hands of people that are not careful
Yes you are correct and technically so is Jim V. I'm just having some good-natured fun with Mr. Hardscrabble.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:29 PM   #28
Jwojcik1990

Went with some advice here and spent 7 days moving between Piseco, Mud Lake and Spy Lake and the fishing was amazing. Obviously no Northern Pike in those waters but the Bass and Pickerel fishing was excellent. Broke my PB Largemouth record for the second time this year and hooked into tons of really nice Smallmouth and Pickerel. Will put up a full trip report with pictures and a video soon! Thanks again to everyone who was tossing advice and locations at me! Lots of future trips planned based on this thread.
Jwojcik1990 is offline   Reply With Quote