Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
Pauly D.

Lake Ann via Lake Bonita/Moreau

I did a quick hike to Lake Ann from Lake Bonita on the newly acquired McGregor Prison property. There is a cool leanto at Lake Ann. Not sure why there is a leanto there. As far as I know you aren't allowed to camp there. Maybe it was for the guards on patrol or to give escaped prisoners a place to stay the night?

I didn't do the full loop today but did a couple of weeks ago. The trail network is new but well marked. If you've never hiked Moreau State Park I'd recommend it. The trail network is extensive and some of it is quite strenuous.

The first photo is Lake Ann and the second Lake Bonita. Pond hockey anyone??

Last edited by Pauly D.; 01-17-2017 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: I finally figured out how to link photos on this forum
Pauly D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
real3175

Thanks for the post! I will be checking this out in the next few weeks, I am always up for pond hockey! How was the chili mac? That was/is always my favorite MRE when I was on active duty.
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
Pauly D.

Thanks! Chili Mac is my backcountry friend! What's with the stupid 1 serving size they sell now? They used to sell packages with 2.5 servings and I can't find them anymore. 1 serving might fill me up if I weighed 100 pounds. All I do is make twice as much garbage now. All packed out of course. LNT.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
skillzman1

Did that trail from the upper boat launch parking area on the Hudson with my mountain bike last year. It was the week after they built the new trail to Bonita. Lots of fun, and the only bike ride I got in all summer. Could be a nice fat bike ride right now!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzman1 View Post
Did that trail from the upper boat launch parking area on the Hudson with my mountain bike last year. It was the week after they built the new trail to Bonita. Lots of fun, and the only bike ride I got in all summer. Could be a nice fat bike ride right now!
I did the loop from Moreau Overlook to Spier Falls a couple of weeks ago. I saw a guy on a fat tire bike making his way up the trail. There were a few people on fat tires going through the paved areas in the park too. Looks like fun!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
dundee

The LT was built by Glens Falls ADK many, many years ago, but not sure why they built it there. AFAIK, you can stay there, that's why the trail was marked, not a great LT, tho.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #7
Tick Magnet

Spikes or snowshoes?

This is on my short list for this Friday's hike.

Looks fun.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #8
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
Spikes or snowshoes?

This is on my short list for this Friday's hike.

Looks fun.
Spikes. It's a great little hike. Watch for the hiking sign at the top of the hill on Wilton Mountain road (exit 16, head West). The parking lot is right after the sign on the right. It's easy to miss. Enjoy!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:12 PM   #9
Tick Magnet

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

My understanding is also that camping is allowed at Lake Ann. I'm not sure if you need to get a permit or not (some other State Parks that allow backcountry camping require you to get a free permit). I've always meant to call the park and ask what the regulations are, but haven't gotten around to doing so yet. As Dundee states, though, the lean-to is older and Lake Ann was not part of the recent acquisition from the closed prison, but rather has been a part of the State Park for a while now (hence the sign just south of the lean-to warning hikers not to travel any further).

I took my first hike at Moreau Lake State Park back in the fall. I did a 9 mile loop from the western trailhead on Spier Falls Road, climbing up to Lake Bonita, over the Lake Ann, and finishing by hiking back along the escarpment. It's definitely a nice area for hiking and I'd enthusiastic about the prospect of returning to hike (and maybe camp) there. There's some very nice views out over the Hudson River towards the southern Adirondacks from the escarpment especially.

DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:45 PM   #11
chaser
pond jockey

The trail network is extensive and some of it is quite strenuous

Thanks for the report I live 5 minutes from Moreau Lake and use these trails all summer/early fall to get ready for deer season up north, they are quite steep up behind the boat launch and are great for short hikes to get in shape.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
dpc34

The Lake Bonita trail head opens up many loops that you can do and gets you up on top to start your adventure....there is a new trail goes from the dam (lake Bonita) down to the spring parking lot(place to park in the winter time)....this area is our personal playground only living with in walking distance of the park....very easy to get 15mi doing loops..lots of wildlife and now hikers....great trail network...map of the area are at the park headquarters for $2...enjoy..maybe I will see you on the trails.....

Last edited by dpc34; 01-18-2017 at 03:51 PM..
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #13
Bob K

Moreau trails

In addition to purchasing the trail map at the park, several maps are available to download from the Moreau state park web site. NY Parks has made much better maps over the past few years and I've downloaded many. I see today that the main Moreau park map shows the trail to Lake Ann as a faint purple color - but doesn't include trails near Lake Bonita. There is a separate map for Lake Bonita showing those trails (and to/from Lake Ann) in more detail.

Lots to enjoy in Moreau state park including some spots (campsites & even trails) not in the main section & on the N/E shore of the Hudson. The views from several spots are quite good and noted on the map. Some views from bushwhacking too. A few locations offer nice Hudson river paddling access (& swimming too, though likely not officially sanctioned). A favorite of mine and have taken many people there.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #14
skillzman1

Here is one from 2015.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spier fallsoverlook.jpg (136.1 KB, 105 views)
Old 01-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #15
skillzman1

another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spierfallsledgeshot.jpg (141.4 KB, 104 views)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #16
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
NY Parks has made much better maps over the past few years and I've downloaded many.
The amount of information shown their maps for some of the parks is impressive. Check out the map for Hempstead Lake State Park on Long Island. It shows every little herd path, even. Whoever collected that information was pretty dedicated to the task.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #17
Tick Magnet

Tredhed and I made it up here this morning for a short hike to check out all the good press this place has received.

We had no problems finding the trailhead on Wilton Rd. thanks to Pauly D for the heads up. The hike from the parking lot to Lake Bonita was very easy as the trail switch backed down the hill through some great looking hemlock.

Within a few minutes, we were on Lake Bonita, checking out the ice and enjoying the view.

We then hit the lavender trail to Lake Ann. We were both impressed how the trail makes great use of the terrain to wander through the hemlock ledges.

Some of the ledges had impressive ice flows.

Soon, we arrived at the lean-to and chilled out for a little.

Lake Ann was a tiny/swampy body of water.

After a goofing around for a little bit, we headed back to Lake Bonita for some hot soup and a wrap on the picnic table. The view of the lake was great.

For a short hike, this one was pretty impressive. The trail still had that new trail smell to it and the foot tread wasn't that pronounced. It meandered quite a bit, but that was fine with us. What a great place to spend a couple hours on a Friday in January.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:41 PM   #18
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
For a short hike, this one was pretty impressive. The trail still had that new trail smell to it and the foot tread wasn't that pronounced. It meandered quite a bit, but that was fine with us. What a great place to spend a couple hours on a Friday in January.
Cool. Great report. Glad you liked it! If you want to do Moreau again park at the boat launch on Spier Falls Road and hike the backside along the Western Ridge trail (yellow trail). It will get your heart pumping and the views of the Hudson River and Southern Adirondacks are great (DSettathr and Skillzman photos). Matter of fact I think I'll do that this weekend.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #19
skillzman1

FWIW the trail from Lake Ann to Lake Bonita was built by the local mountain bike club SMBA last spring and that's why its switchbacks between the ledges and hemlocks. It makes it a bit more rider friendly and adds a technical aspect to the trail. If you ever ride or walk the SMBA trails off Daniels Rd. in Saratoga you would recognize the style of construction. Fun to ride but looks funny on a GPS track when you walk it...lol
It is really a very extensive trail system, IIRC there are approximately 40 miles of trail in that park.
If they could coordinate permissions from local land owners you could literally walk/ride from Moreau end of the system to Lincoln Mountain forest and then to the Daniels rd trail system and end in Saratoga. There was some mention of it at one point. The trails already exist via snowmobile, log roads, and trolly car track rail beds (Grant's Cottage). They cross private lands now, but I grew up on that mountain and new those trails well before they were posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lake Ann lt.jpg (112.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg lake ann.jpg (142.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg lake ann1.jpg (96.8 KB, 65 views)