Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
Grey-Jay

A constant roar over the SE Adirondacks

On recent hikes east of Sacandaga, noticed the continuous every few minute flights of commercial aircraft. A Flight Tracker app provided the answer. Only a portion of the flights are regional from Montreal, Boston, Albany, Burlington, Toronto, etc.

The curvature of the earth explains the main reason. Many international flights between Europe and the entire U.S. and Carribbean utilize the shortest distance over Greenland and travel right over eastern NY. A shorter distance than what would seem a straight line on a paper map going via the mid-Atlantic. There is a flight superhighway right over the eastern Adirondacks.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
On recent hikes east of Sacandaga, noticed the continuous every few minute flights of commercial aircraft. A Flight Tracker app provided the answer. Only a portion of the flights are regional from Montreal, Boston, Albany, Burlington, Toronto, etc.

The curvature of the earth explains the main reason. Many international flights between Europe and the entire U.S. and Carribbean utilize the shortest distance over Greenland and travel right over eastern NY. A shorter distance than what would seem a straight line on a paper map going via the mid-Atlantic. There is a flight superhighway right over the eastern Adirondacks.
Interesting! I often wondered that myself.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
Wldrns

You are using the wrong map to determine shortest distance. Flat Mercator maps are deceiving with distortion if you try to draw a straight line from NY to Europe. If you stretch a string on a round globe, you will see the best (most fuel efficient, least carbon burning) route. The northern branch Jet stream also helps and is a plus heading eastbound. Sometimes the best route is north or south of the jet stream heading westbound, to get out of the strongest headwinds.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
Lucky13

I spend a fair amount of time star gazing on the western edge of the Tug Hill Plateau around Smartville. We see at least twice as many night time fliers as we do when at Fourth Lake in the Fulton Chain. I've always attributed this to Fort Drum, but maybe some are similar commercial flights.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #5
Grey-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Interesting! I often wondered that myself.
In fact, Ive noticed it the most near Lake Desolation and Hennig Preserve not far from you.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:50 PM   #6
Tug Hill

The only roar I hear that bugs me , is the 100 + garbage and leachate trucks daily ,going to the OHCSWA Ava Landfill.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:56 PM   #7
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
The only roar I hear that bugs me , is the 100 + garbage and leachate trucks daily ,going to the OHCSWA Ava Landfill.
We fought those for a long time, to no avail. Can't win against big government even when it is only at the county level.

OTOH, the sound of multiple military aircraft overhead is the sound of freedom. I in fact would, when able, plan my navigation training legs just so. I doubt I was very intrusive at 30,000 feet.