Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Wolf Pond revisited again

So I talked hickoryskier into a last hurrah paddling day trip to Wolf Pond.
The weather was forecast to be in the 20's overnight, and warming to nearly 50 during the day, with partly sunny skies. Perfect!! I had yet to see the views from Wolf Pond and maybe the highest peaks would still be snow capped.

On the drive up, I carefully observed every stream and pond we passed near, making sure that the water was still soft...everything looked frosty, but still flowing. Then we exited the highway and saw Palmer Pond looking mostly solid. Uh-oh, uhmmmm, yeah, well, the pond outlet flows pretty good so we'll be OK, we rationalized.
The road sides still had snow on them in the shady spots, as did the woods that we carried through to get to Wolf Pond Brook. The banks of the brook were nicely frozen, but there was enough open water to paddle, so we were good to go!! Around the first bend, the brook was frozen bank to bank, with the middle being easy to break through. So we did our best coast guard ice breaker imitation and plowed though. Some spots had only skim ice near the edges that would quietly crinkle as our waves disturbed the calm water. Other spots were pretty firm, and we got tossed around by the thicker ice. The sky was clearing from an early haze, and we were excited to see the views from Wolf Pond. Just 3 beaver dams to go up and over and one set of rapids to carry around (remember, no trails!!). The final carry, we left the boat behind to check out a faint foot path that lead to the pond...and just as well.
Wolf Pond was frozen solid!! No paddling it today. But we walked the ice and did enjoy the views, even if the peaks were not snow capped.
This is likely my last paddling of the year.
Here's a few photos, more on Picasa...

The carry from Blue Ridge Road

Put in

Skim ice

Third beaver dam

How do we paddle this??

Wolf Pond and my duck boots

stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote